cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Referral setup problem

Referral setup problem

Richard747
Helpful | Level 6

Hello. Please could I have some help with my Dropbox account? In the UK we are in lockdown and I tried to invite my 90 year old father to set up an account over the telephone as we are not permitted to visit. I sent him the invitation and my status showed that he still needed to sign in.

I spoke to him for an hour and a half trying to set this up. Initially he was using IE11 and it would not sign up. It said Dropbox required Edge so after sometime we managed to get Edge running.

He could then see my Dropbox on his screen – the whole thing was as though he was logged in as me? We went round in circles for a very long time and eventually managed to install the Dropbox app on his Windows 10 computer.

He then tried signing in to the app and my Status changed to say my father already has a Dropbox account’. There was no 500MB referral

This has been a long, difficult and at times frustrating exercise for a very elderly gentleman. Please could you kindly credit our respective accounts with the 500 MB.

My account:     -

My father:         -

Thank you very much for help, we both appreciate it.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Referral setup problem

Richard747
Helpful | Level 6

Thank you, I have just replied.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @Richard747, thanks for taking the time to message us!

I understand that it took time to setup the referral on the site.

According to your account online, what is the current status of the referral?

Did he click the link to accept the invite, or did he create the account without the link?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Richard747
Helpful | Level 6

Hello Jay, thank you very much for looking at this, I really appreciate your help.

My account shows 'Invitation sent'

The status shows 'Your invite to  _____ was never accepted. ______ is already using DropBox, sorry!'

My father did click on the link to accept the invite, At this point it said DropBox is no longer compatible with IE11 you need no use a different browser.

Dad is 90 years old and I tried to talk him through installing Edge on his PC over the telephone. We went around in circles many times and occasionally his screen would show my DropBox?

Every time he tried the link in the e-mail it tried and failed to open in IE11.

As you can imagine this was causing quite a bit of stress. 

Eventually he got to a point of being able to download the DropBox app using Edge. He filled in his details and I then got a status message saying he was already using DropBox.

I can supply both our login details if required rather than posting them on the open forum.

Thank you again for you help. I would just like to get the referral space added to our accounts.

Jay
Dropboxer
Would it be possible to contact you at the email associated with your forum profile to look into this matter further?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Richard747
Helpful | Level 6

Yes, please e-mail at your convenience.

Thank you.

Jay
Dropboxer
I've sent you a message there, please could you reply as soon as possible, thanks!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Richard747
Helpful | Level 6

Thank you, I have just replied.

View solution in original post

Poll
Which Dropbox integrations are you using while working from home?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?