cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regaining Dropbox account access via another linked device does not work

Highlighted

Regaining Dropbox account access via another linked device does not work

New member | Level 2

Hi,

I am trying to regain access to my Dropbox account via the "Regaining Dropbox account access via another linked device" guide but it doesn't work.  So far I tried Firefox and Vivaldi but the process doesn't look like it is describend. 

As of now I have only access to it via the app installed on my PC but I would love to use it on other devices and connect it to an email that still exist. I already tried to contact the support but I guess they replied to the email connected to the account. 

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Re: Regaining Dropbox account access via another linked device does not work

Dropboxer
Hey there @P_S,

Firstly, can you let me know a little more info about the issue you are facing here? For example, do you no longer have access to the email address associated with your Dropbox account and do not know the password? Can you let me know if you can sign into your account online? Please ensure not to reveal any personal info in reply to these questions for your own security, such as your email address.

You can change the email address associated with your Dropbox account but to do this you will need to be able to sign in online. Once you can access your account you will be able to connect other devices too. 

Let me know - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

Hey @Daphne,

I have no longer access to the email that is associated with the account and the provider doesn't exist anymore. The password is also unknown to me. 

The only thing I can do is sign in via the app that is installed on my desktop PC thanks to the saved information. Using the app I can sign in online but to change my email I need the password that I don't have. 

Is there anything I can do here? 

Thank you!

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Hey there @P_S,

I’m afraid if you don’t know the password for the account then you won't be able to proceed with changing the current email address on your Dropbox account.

What I would recommend is to create a new Dropbox account under your current accessible email address, then migrate the data from your old account to the new one. I would advise to set up the new account and upload your current data before taking any action on the old account and the desktop folder. 

Once your data is within the new account, you can unlink your old account from the desktop app and sign in with the new one. 

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?