cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reset Password using linked device

Highlighted

Reset Password using linked device

New member | Level 2

I'm trying to follow the instructions for reseting my password via a linked device - and Step 3 is making no sense, specifically

Instructions.JPG

Step 3 is ... not an option? There is nothing to click "Yes" on?

If I follow options 1 and 2 I get to this page

https://help.dropbox.com/accounts-billing/settings-sign-in/password-reset

Which just sends me round in a loop...

Help!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Reset Password using linked device

New member | Level 2

Hi Daphne

In that case, as I'm still signed in via a mobile device I'll simply transfer all the information on the Dropbox account to a local drive and then set up a new account

Thanks for your help

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hey @SimonM, thanks for reaching out to us here!

The steps that you're following there would be if your password had expired, as mentioned in step 1.

If you have forgot the password rather than the password expiring, then these steps wouldn't apply. 

Are you trying to regain access to your Dropbox account but don't have access to the email that's currently associated with your account?

Let me know!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

Hi

That's ... really not clear from the instructions. All it says is "How to reset your password from a linked device"

Anyhow I'm currently signed in via my Mobile as well as my Browser but apparently I can't change my email address.

Is there any way to send an reset link to anything other than the email address?

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me here @SimonM!

In this case, I'm afraid there isn't much else that I can suggest.

You will need to regain access to your email address so that you can receive the password reset email.

Can you reach out to your Email Service Provider (ESP) to see if you can regain access to the email linked with your Dropbox account?

Daphne

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

Hi Daphne

In that case, as I'm still signed in via a mobile device I'll simply transfer all the information on the Dropbox account to a local drive and then set up a new account

Thanks for your help

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Glad that I could help out even just a little @SimonM!

If you have any other questions or issues, I'm just a post away here.

I hope you have a great day ahead!

Daphne

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

I am going to chime in that these instructions are utter crud.
I have logged in to a new device by sending a notice to linked devices but, EVERY [profanity removed as per Community Guidelines] TIME I try to find those directions I find this idiotic response.

Once and for all - I DON'T want to reset my password every time I have to install Dropbox on a new device, ESPECIALLY when I have other devices on the same [profanity removed] network that are logged it.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hey @CaesarCovi, thanks for joining us here.

You shouldn't need to reset the password for your Dropbox account when connecting a new device as long as you remember the password used for your Dropbox account.

Can you let me know if you have any specific issues when trying to sign into your account from a new device? For example, do you receive an error message when trying to sign in with your Dropbox credentials that would otherwise allow you to sign in online?

Let me know!

Daphne

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?