cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reset Phone and Lost Authenticator App without backup and emergency code

Reset Phone and Lost Authenticator App without backup and emergency code

SectorDave
Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

After requesting support for this fatal problem, I have been in contact with a specialized support, but even given all kinds of data and proving that I am the owner of the account, I am not given the option to regain access.

It all starts when I had to format my phone, but I don't have a backup of the validation application for 2FA and I have lost the emergency code.

My account is not compromised, I have not changed my phone or number, I also have an Apple account with the same email account as Dropbox and with 2FA, which has my phone number registered the same and does not allow me to validate either because the codes They are independent.

Now it says that I inevitably have to lose the information that I have in my account.

I had to create a new account to write in this forum.

The reference ticket is # 14523118 from support@dropbox.zendesk.com

I would like to recover the information stored in Dropbox since it was not synchronized on another device.
I hope Dropbox considers validation of people more important than code.

Thanks,

3 Replies 3

Re: Reset Phone and Lost Authenticator App without backup and emergency code

Rich
Super User II

@SectorDave wrote:

It all starts when I had to format my phone, but I don't have a backup of the validation application for 2FA and I have lost the emergency code.

Unfortunately, without the backup codes, a backup phone or another active device already linked to the account, it's simply not possible to gain access to an account without the 2FA validation.

You enabled a feature that prevents access to the account without specific information, and now you're trying to access the account without that information. If Dropbox allowed that, it would be a complete breakdown of the security.

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @SectorDave, as @Rich suggested, without the emergency backup codes or other device, it wouldn't be possible to recover your account

This thread I posted gives more information on how secure 2FA is, which is why our support team wasn't able to assist you on this matter.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

SectorDave
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for answering @Rich & @Jay 

I understand the security reasons that is why we want to use it, but I do not claim to deactivate it, after having sent personal information about the structure of my folders, including with whom I have shared them, screenshots of my last access and everything related to my authority, data that only I could know, should have the possibility of an access to reconfigure the validation application.

In my case the device has not been lost, I observe when I want to send a notification, but it does not work because it is not linked.

Regards,

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

SectorDave Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropboxer
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?