cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resetting Vault Passwords

Resetting Vault Passwords

spraxis
Explorer | Level 3

It appears that resetting a vault password (and gaining access to a vault) is easy if someone knows your Dropbox password and has access to your email.

Is it possible to prevent others from resetting a vault password unless that person can provide the old vault password?

3 Replies 3

Re: Resetting Vault Passwords

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi there @spraxis; welcome to our Community and thanks for using the Vault feature!

I'm sorry to ask, but have you set a PIN for your Vault yet? 

Vault PIN protection offers an additional layer of security for your most sensitive files. While your Vault is locked, the content of files saved in Vault is not accessible. 

PIN-protection times out after ten attempts, and gets to prevent hackers or thieves from gaining access to your sensitive information. 

Vault also autolocks after 20 minutes on web, and 3 minutes on mobile, ensuring that your content stays protected if you step away from your device.

Vault’s security measures are in addition to the security measures that Dropbox takes with all of your files and folders, including encryption in transit and at rest.

To learn more about the Dropbox security measures, you can take a look at this Help Center article.

Last but not least, note that you can post your feature requests or enhancements in the relevant section of our Community so other users can upvote it to show their interest too. 

I hope this helps!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

spraxis
Explorer | Level 3

Walter, thank you for responding to my post.  I am aware of Vault PINs and have created one for my test Vault folder.  Unfortunately your response did not address my concern.   The Vault PIN can be easily reset by anyone that gets your Dropbox account logon and access to your email.  For me, that does not provide adequate security for very sensitive files.  A PIN reset should only be allowed by providing the previous PIN.  Otherwise, the vault folders are no more secure than regular Dropbox folders.

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hi @spraxis, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us. 

If you'd like, you can suggest this as a feature you'd like to see being implemented in the future, here

There, other like-minded users can upvote and comment your idea. 

In the meantime, if you have any other questions or thoughts, don't hesitate to give us another nudge. Cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Are you starting new work habits this year?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?