cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Says I'm over the limit even after I've permanently deleted the files the sent me over the limit

Highlighted

Says I'm over the limit even after I've permanently deleted the files the sent me over the limit

Explorer | Level 4

Like several others on this forum, I accidentally moved a folder into my free Dropbox account that put me over the size limit.  I realized what I'd done and so deleted the entire folder with all its files.  I deleted the files "permanently" so they don't show in the deleted files list with the option to restore.  Therefore, the actual size of the files still in my active Dropbox account is well under my limit.  However, I keep getting emails telling me to upgrade, and my folders no longer sync.  I have followed the advanced user help article about deleting my cache, but the cache folders were already empty.

None of the Super User responses to similar posts have been of any help. They say that permanently deleted files don't count against your size limit, but apparently they do.  They say that going to the page that shows the total size of your stored account will give an accurate number, but it doesn't.  Can anyone help or do I just have to stop using Dropbox?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: says I'm over the limit even after I've permanently deleted the files the sent me over the limit

Super User II

If you have shared folders then THATS your issue - with almost certainty. They use up the quota and then once you go over it they stop you syncing. However, if the shared folder is bigger than your quota as soon as you delete files the share 'gobbles' up the newly released space.

You can post the image via something like twitpic and adding a link to it here.

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
Highlighted

Re: says I'm over the limit even after I've permanently deleted the files the sent me over the limit

Super User II
Deleted files do NOT use your quota. At all.

If you are showing as above quota make sure you restart Dropbox, check out shared folders etc. at www.dropbox.com/share and if that all fails post a screen shot of what www.dropbox.com/account shows in regards quota. Also, remember that as shared folders use quota its possible that the space you had has been used up by them.

- - -

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4
It's not my shared folders that are causing any hassle. I have an image of my quota, but I can't figure out how to get it to show in the reply box. It won't let me paste it in, and when I click the icon to insert a picture, it's not clear how to do that. I typed in the location on my computer for "source," but that didn't do anything. :-(
Highlighted

Super User II

If you have shared folders then THATS your issue - with almost certainty. They use up the quota and then once you go over it they stop you syncing. However, if the shared folder is bigger than your quota as soon as you delete files the share 'gobbles' up the newly released space.

You can post the image via something like twitpic and adding a link to it here.

- - -

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4
shared folders were not the issue, but I got rid of other stuff & the issue is resolved now
Highlighted

New member | Level 2

KUDOS!! .... restarting Dropbox reset my 8.8gb to zero (after having deleted ALL my files)!!

thank you 🙏 😊 

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

*not* the issue! "If you have shared folders then THATS your issue - with almost certainty." but good thought. It was the NEED TO RESTART Dropbox which reset the value to 0.0 from over my limit of 8.0 GB - after I had deleted ALL my files and still did not see the value of my Dropbox amount decline in the least (even after permanently deleting all files) ...

SO glad I read a bit further (cuz I don't share files so ... "with almost certaintly" was not even in the realm.

Thank you for taking your time to post an/your answer, though! 😊🦋

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?