cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Separating Personal and Business account

Separating Personal and Business account

Nemanja604
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hello,

I'm connected to the business account as a team member and I have a personal account connected to it (just switched to Professional plan). I would like to separate the two. I'm not having any luck doing that by myself.

So the ideal scenario would be to have my very own Professional Account regardless of the Business Account.

Thank you,
Nemanja

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Did you join the Business team using your existing account? Do you only have one email address that you use with Dropbox? If so, then your personal account would have been merged into the Business team, and your personal account no longer exists. It's now a part of the team and owned by the company.

If that's the case, then your team admin will need to convert your account to an individual account. If that's not the case and you actually have two separate accounts (each with their own email address), then you probably just connected them so they both sync separately to your computer, in which case you can disconnect them using the link that @Mark provided above.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hey @Nemanja604 

Do you mean you can access both accounts via the computer or website at the same time? 

If so you are fine - they are not connected in any other way. It is simply a way for the software to allow you access to multiple accounts in one safe place. You can split them if you want, but, then you can only access either your work account OR your personal account on your mobile/computer at one time. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Nemanja604
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks for your reply @Mark!

Not exactly what I mean. I just want them as separate entities. If, for example, I leave the team of that company that owns a business account, and the admin removes me, I'm affraid I wont be able to access my personal data. Being able to use both at the same time is not mandatory. I use it locally mostly anyways.

I remember that I couldn't do that 2 years ago, when I created personal DB with membership, but I was hopping its possible now.  I wanted to create my account, but dropbox wouldnt let me do it if I didnt connect the business account...

If this is the case: "It is simply a way for the software to allow you access to multiple accounts in one safe place." then it seems I'm good, but my experience from 2 years ago is why I was asking to separate them.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Did you join the Business team using your existing account? Do you only have one email address that you use with Dropbox? If so, then your personal account would have been merged into the Business team, and your personal account no longer exists. It's now a part of the team and owned by the company.

If that's the case, then your team admin will need to convert your account to an individual account. If that's not the case and you actually have two separate accounts (each with their own email address), then you probably just connected them so they both sync separately to your computer, in which case you can disconnect them using the link that @Mark provided above.

Nemanja604
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Hi Rich

Thank you for your insight. That was very helpful. I have separate emails so it seems that im fine.

Thanks!

OriSch
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello,

Before connecting my personal account to the team account, I was on the "Dropbox Plus - 2TB" plan (9 more months to go before next payment). I did not understand the implications of using the same email and am now interested to separate the two accounts.

According the the link you provided the admin can delete a user from the team account, and then "Convert to individual Dropbox Basic account instead". This is confusing - will I get my previous 2TB plan back, or will I have a limited basic plan and all my saved files will be deleted?

Thank you,
Ori

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@OriSch wrote:

... will I get my previous 2TB plan back, or will I have a limited basic plan and all my saved files will be deleted?

You'll be on a Basic account but your files will not be deleted. When you joined the team, any time remaining on your paid subscription would have been refunded back to you automatically. You can simply re-subscribe once your account have been converted back to an individual account.

OriSch
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you for your explanation Rich, it is truly helpful.

VH21
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Issue: I have a personal dropbox account to which was shared several business folder links. Today, I received a notice to create a business account from a business team member. I did so using my @businessname.com email address. Now, my personal files, and only my personal files, are in my business account and in my personal account are all the shared business files plus an archive file of my personal account with nothing in it. Can anyone help me swap my files around?

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @VH21, welcome to our Community! 

When joining the Dropbox team, did you create a new account or did you transfer your files to the Business team as shown here?

Let me know how it goes!

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?