cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shared Folder Was Deleted by Dropbox

Highlighted

Shared Folder Was Deleted by Dropbox

Explorer | Level 3

Hello everyone,

I was part of a Dropbox Business along with 4 accounts which we decided to stop this year.

I received an email saying that the account would be deleted and I thought it was okay.

In the meanwhile, I didnt open the dropbox program because my account had been canceled. However, ater some days, the dropbox program automatically opened and "probably noticed that the account does not longer exist" and so the shared folder where I had all my work was deleted BY DROPBOX, I repeat, DELETED BY DROPBOX... It is nothing on the trash bin, I tried to run software to find deleted files and nothing is there. I still have the shared folder but if I try to access it it is said that the location is not available...

Even if my account was canceled, the folder was stored on my computer and should not be deleted BY DROPBOX. I made a backup one month ago but still keep working on that folder. IT IS A FOLDER just like any other SAVED IN MY COMPUTER and that should not be DELETED BY DROPBOX WITHOUT my permission.

This is a serious problem, lost a lot of work and still do not know how to recover it.

If anybody knows a way to recover the files (since they were never online on dropbox servers) but always in my SSD.

Thank you all and hope to advice other people to not trust and keep safety.

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Re: Shared Folder Was Deleted by Dropbox

Dropboxer

Hi @NunoSaraiva, thanks for posting on the Community!

Regarding the email you received, you mentioned that your entire Dropbox account would be deleted, was it due to inactivity? If this was the case, then as it sounds, your whole account, including all files within, would have been deleted.

If you attempt to sign into your old Dropbox account, what error message do you get? Was the account instead deleted by the team admin prior to the team getting downgraded completely?

Keep me posted!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Thank you for your quick response.

I am really frustrated and don't know what to do.

The account was deleted by the admin yes because my team decided to not renew our payed service for dropbox Bussiness. So I receive an email saying that the account was going to be deleted but once again, the folder, as it was on MY computer, should not be deleted by this program called "dropbox".

When I attempt to login, it is said that the account do not exist.

The files were deleted. I am 100 % sure of that because the SSD free space increased... Is there anyway to recover the files that were not synced and were only stored at dropbox folder of my computer? I did the folder was deleted? Who gave permission to delete any folder from my computer?

Meanwhile I created again to ask here for help.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

If a team member is deleted by the admin, then the admin also gets an option to delete the local Dropbox folder and disconnect the account of all connected devices for security purposes.

It sounds like in your case this was enabled. If so, it wouldn’t be possible to recover the files from the machine, since the program deleted it directly, so it wouldn’t have gone to the recycle/trash bin.

If the account was deleted within the last 7 days, then the admin should be able to recover the account using these steps.

If this isn't the case, then it wouldn't be possible to recover those files, and I’m sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Jay

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I appreciate your answer again.

But my question that still remains unanswered is: WHO give permission for such delete without even asking? So the program automatically removed a folder from my own computer. 

I am sorry but this was a really bad service on your part. The folder was on my computer, this bad program turned on automatically without my permission and worse than that deleted I folder from my computer.

Nothing personal, but I really think this is a serious fault on DROPBOX software and could affect a lot of people in bad ways.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

When you are part of a Dropbox Business team, essentially, you gave the permission, since the team admin technically owns your account and all data within, and the ability to edit or delete it.

Similar to leaving a job, whereby a former employee can no longer access company property or files, the team admin can immediately delete your account and delete all copies of your files in your Dropbox folders, to prevent potential abuse in future.

This is a security precaution and feature provided for team admins to protect the team admin and the files inside the Dropbox Business account.

Hope this helps to clarify matters.

Jay

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?