Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shared folder quota for view only members?

Tara D.1 New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

So I have a shared folder that I share with a few people, the two who are view only (have no editing privileges) are both getting the "Your Dropbox is full" email. I get why people who have edit privileges would run out of space, but those who can only view my folder shouldn't have MY files stored on MY account (that has plenty of space left)  count against their quota. Why is this a thing? Is there any way to make it so it doesn't count against their quota without removing them from the folder?

4 Replies 4

Re: shared folder quota for view only members?

Super User II
Super User II

but those who can only view my folder shouldn't have MY files stored on MY account (that has plenty of space left)  count against their quota

But it IS in their account - you have just decided they cannot edit it - although they can open/copy it etc. to their own files and folders and edit there. 

Is there any way to make it so it doesn't count against their quota without removing them from the folder?

Yes. Work around - remove them from the folder at present and send them a shared link. They will need to click on the link to access the files and download updates (it won't happen automatically) but won't use quota unless they add it to their Dropbox. 

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Data sharing uses data

tall191 New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

It seems if someone shares a folder with me it uses up my data allocation, does anyone have the same problem?

Re: Data sharing uses data

nadine15 New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Yes I've got the same thing it is quite annoying ! :-(

Re: Data sharing uses data

Super User II
Super User II

This is the intended behavior. The files shared with you exist in your account, so they take up your space as well.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Find Answers section here. ]

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?