cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to make our Community work for you and we need your help. Take our short survey!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signed up for Pro but can’t upload files - it shows I don’t have space. I want my money back!

Highlighted

Signed up for Pro but can’t upload files - it shows I don’t have space. I want my money back!

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Today I signed the pro dropbox thinking it would solve my backups problems. My intention was to get 1 TB of space in the cloud so i can make the overall backup of my MACBOOK PRO before formatting it. But even after the upgrade, I can not upload any large file. The message "was not possible to upload this file because you don't have enough space." After researching, I read that in reality it is necessary to have much free space on your hard drive to get to the uploads, but my HD is 95% full! I'm going to use just 5% of 1TB that I bought? I tried the "selective synchronization", but did not work. I bought a product thinking it was one thing, but the truth is otherwise. Another thing that surprised me negatively is the support. I would like to send this directly to Dropbox support, but as it does not exist i had to come to the "forum" to do this post. If Dropbox dont find a plausible solution to my problem, I would love to have the refund of my money.

Thank U

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: I SIGNED DROPBOX PRO, BUT I CAN'T UPLOAD FILES BECAUSE SHOWS THAT I DONT HAVE SPACE! I WANT MY MONEY BACK!

Super User II
Super User II

You have totally misunderstood Dropbox Felipe. First of all it isnt a back up tool - there are MUCH better back up tools out there. And you seem to have missed the whole point that Dropbox is a syncing tool. It is marketed, designed and intended that everything stays local on all machines.

If you have used Selective Sync that removes the data locally, but, stores it in a local cache for a few days incase you reverse the decision. It will free up for you on a reboot.

Support is available at the bottom of all pages. You can log a ticket at www.dropbox.com/account and replies may take a few days, but, you can track at http://dropbox.zendesk.com

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8
Highlighted

Re: I SIGNED DROPBOX PRO, BUT I CAN'T UPLOAD FILES BECAUSE SHOWS THAT I DONT HAVE SPACE! I WANT MY MONEY BACK!

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I have had the exact same problem with my Dec 2014 and Jan 2015 holiday pics and movies of which I have GBs and also have a nearly full HD in any case but compounded due to uploading from my camera and iPhone to iPhoto on this Macbook Pro.

I too bought recently the 1TB extra data storage. I find DropBox quite easy to use but its weird need for so much empty space on one's device's HD is ridiculous and not something about which I've read anywhere in reviews by anyone or magazines let alone is warned of by the Dropbox web site etc.

We all know a near full HD is not good for optimum performance; therefore following reviews from reputable magazines like PC UK or PC Australia (not sure which now from memory) and other on-line reviewers like (but not necessarily) CNET and others who ALL refer to Dropbox as awesome as BOTH a great sync AND back-up facility to safely store materiel and free up your HDs as well as sync as you choose with other devices.

Apparently Dropbox in sending photos from say iPhoto to the cloud - to Dropbox servers - needs to for some odd reason make a copy of it on your HD or at least for the transfer needs that file's space as duplicated I think temporarily on your HD until the transfer is complete. How dumb is that one has to ask! I've tried another way not using IPhoto but get the same message so it not some oddity of iP{hoto working with Dropbox; rather it appears to be some non-spoken-about-anywhere issue. It can't be just me as you refer to it too and the question of not enough HD space messages comes up elsewhere in this forum.

I did get a reply back from someone - not sure if a staff member of Dropbox or a forum contributor - who was frankly rude and said I UTTERLY missed the point about Dropbox in that it is not so much a back up as rather a syncing tool between one's various devices! Well he missed the point and provided no assistance as to how to use Dropbox and why the Dropbox web site also talks of it being a useful back up drive space.

Haven't got an answer but someone somewhere may know how to help us and I gather many others.

I too feel that Dropbox staff and company should take a much better and pro-active approach to helping their customers and certainly their paying customers rather than these impersonal forums, which though having their place do not always address issues quickly nor precisely. But Apple and MS and Adobe and Google are kind of the same. It's all about their overall arching USA corporate dollar greed and quiet arrogance to the max - despite having in the main good products.

Let's hope for a clear explanation and solution to this problem.

In the mean time I'm drip feeding my uploads by selecting in my case about twenty photos at a time and sending them to Drobbox while I do my work, then deleting them from my HD - iPhoto or wherever. Slowly I am freeing up more and more HD. But Surely Dropbox doesn't need to work like this?!!!

David, Australia

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

You have totally misunderstood Dropbox Felipe. First of all it isnt a back up tool - there are MUCH better back up tools out there. And you seem to have missed the whole point that Dropbox is a syncing tool. It is marketed, designed and intended that everything stays local on all machines.

If you have used Selective Sync that removes the data locally, but, stores it in a local cache for a few days incase you reverse the decision. It will free up for you on a reboot.

Support is available at the bottom of all pages. You can log a ticket at www.dropbox.com/account and replies may take a few days, but, you can track at http://dropbox.zendesk.com

- - -

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

David. Thank you for exposing your experience with Dropbox, i felt less "dumb" for entering in this. It's really ridiculous the way Dropbox hide essential information about their services. Mark. if I misunderstood the purpose of the dropbox, it was happen because Dropbox doesnt give the right information to the consumers! ALL indicates Dropbox has back up service, and i never was informed that I couldn't back up my computer when I bought the PRO version! If I buy 1TB of space in the cloud is because I do not have enough space on my HD! It doesn't seem obvious? You told me to open a "ticket" in Dropbox support, but the suport page just doesn't work, is white! The only option available is to check my existing requests, but doesn't indicate where to open new requests! That is, as if all this were not enough, I still have to deal with a bad customer support! In conclusion, I can even admit that I "got it wrong" the aim of dropbox, even these "objectives" being hidden to consumers before purchase "PRO" package, but still, as I bought the PRO yesterday, and this is a online service, I am entitled to repentance, and demand cancellation of the contract and refund of 99 USD I spent! What i have to do to have this? Thanks.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

You can file a ticket at dropbox.com/support!

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Hey Felipe,

It does seem like in this situation, Selective Sync is what you need. https://www.dropbox.com/help/142

Can you explain what you tried and why it did not work for you?

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Glad I read this forum. I was considering buying 1T but indeed it is incompatible with my purpose (i.e. backup of video, pictures, old files, ...). Anyone has an alternative solution to buy an extern hard drive?

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

For backups Lionel I use CrashPlan by Code42

- - -

Highlighted

Re: I SIGNED DROPBOX PRO, BUT I CAN'T UPLOAD FILES BECAUSE SHOWS THAT I DONT HAVE SPACE! I WANT MY M

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

DROPBOX WARNING !

For those of you using Drobox as a central depository facility you should be aware that if there are any problems with the service, there are no facilities available to correct this. In my case, I have been mistakenly downgraded although I am paying for the Pro service. This means that there is insufficient memory space for colleagues to access information needed to carry out their work. It has not been possible to establish contact with Dropbox to have this corrected, despite attempts though all channels advertised.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Ask a Question section here.]

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?