cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Someone accessed my location from my files

Someone accessed my location from my files

Maiakami
Explorer | Level 3

Somehow someone I shared my files with was able to find a map with my exact location. Is there a way to turn this off???

5 Replies 5

Re: Someone accessed my location from my files

Lori
Dropboxer
Hey @Maiakami, let's see what we can find on this together!

When you say they were able to find a map of your location, can you provide me with some more info on this? 

When sharing content through Dropbox, people shouldn't be able to find your precise location, however if you're worried I suggest checking this article, right here.

Let me know what you find!

Lori
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Maiakami
Explorer | Level 3
Someone I shared a file with sent me a screenshot that shows my exact location on a map. I'm asking him more details about how he accessed it. And I will try to post the screenshot

Maiakami
Explorer | Level 3

Here's a link to the screenshot he sent me:

<<removed>>

Mark
Super User II

Hi @Maiakami 

That link was really helpful - thank you, however, for obvious reasons I've removed it. 

So the data for that location is in the photo you shared. Your location tracking settings are obviously turned on on your camera so it is adding that data to the properties of the picture. 

Dropbox has just shared the file as you told it to.... that information would be visible however you shared it (email, Dropbox, iCloud etc.)

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @Maiakami, @Mark is correct, your camera app saves this map metadata in the image itself, so this isn't a Dropbox matter since the photo already had the data on it.

If you want to remove it, then you can see if there's a method to disable the option to save locations when taking images in the future in your camera app.

Hope this helps to clarify matters!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    Mark Super User II
    Maiakami Explorer | Level 3
    Lori Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?