cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Space is almost full notification

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

stop nagging me about how full my space is, daily annoying messages will only deter me from buying more space

the constant nagging is like ads, im either gonna find a way to manually block the notification or im just gonna stop using and uninstall dropbox

thx

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Space is almost full notification

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey there @a_giraffe!

Sounds like you’re receiving a notification about your Dropbox account running out of space. You can check how much space you’ve got left by navigating to your Plan tab on your Settings

Although this notification cannot be disabled, it will not appear once your Dropbox account isn’t close to or over its storage limit. To do this, you can either make space by removing unwanted content (including shared folder and files) or earn free space

Hope this helped to some extent! 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13
Highlighted

Re: Space is almost full notification

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey there @a_giraffe!

Sounds like you’re receiving a notification about your Dropbox account running out of space. You can check how much space you’ve got left by navigating to your Plan tab on your Settings

Although this notification cannot be disabled, it will not appear once your Dropbox account isn’t close to or over its storage limit. To do this, you can either make space by removing unwanted content (including shared folder and files) or earn free space

Hope this helped to some extent! 

Lusil

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

TOO MANY NOTIFICATIONS

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

First off, I've been using Dropbox for years, and I've always thought it was a fantastic program. But a few months ago, or maybe more like a year, I started getting more and more frequent desktop notifications about how I'm almost out of space. Which isn't an unreasonable thing to have notifications about. What is unreasonable is the fact that it pops up multiple times a day over active fullscreen windows, and that I can't turn it off! I have almost 700 MB free and that will honestly last me at least another 9 months before I need to prune my Dropbox contents. 

I don't need this notification, and it's irritating me to the point that I am actively searching for a dropbox alternative that I like. If there is a way to turn off the desktop notifications that I haven't been able to find, please let me know. If not, tell your dev team how obnoxious this is.

Highlighted

Re: TOO MANY NOTIFICATIONS

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @cd95, I’ve moved your post under this discussion here, in order to ping you towards Lusil’s reply above, as it could be of assistance in the future. While I’ve already made sure to note down your feedback on my report, I appreciate the time you took to detail us your thoughts; positive or negative, your comments help us understand your needs better.

Please feel free to ping me here again if you have any more thoughts or questions & have a wonderful rest of your day in the meantime! 

Jane

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I see I am not alone at loathing this nagging. I also note people have been raising this issue for a year or so. Like them, I am more likely to seek an alternative than to buy storage I just don't don't need at this time, to stop your 'ad'. I have 600 MB of free space, more than enough given that I eventaully roll away older content.

Please reconsider this as a configurable setting.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I have nearly 2 GB of free space (I have 16 GB total), and am getting the most annoying nag messages EVERY DAY on my PC telling me my storage is almost full. Seriously? Is there no way to make this stop besides pruning my files or buying more space?

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @Lori L.9, apologies for the slight delay in getting back in touch with you. 

To answer your question, Lusil’s pointers above still apply, therefore you could either remove some files or upgrade if you’d like to avoid seeing this Notification moving forward. 

Earning space through referrals or other promotions may be the solution you're looking for however. Have you had a chance to explore this by any chance? 

I hope my message points you in the right direction! 

Jane

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Please consider to provide an answer to the actual problem.

The actual problem is not that people have almost used their space. People seem to be just fine with that they have only a small amount of space left.

The actual problem is the notification itself. Why should people free up space or earn more space from referrals, if a more simple solution would be just to toggle off these kinds of notifications? There are already options for a plenty of other notifications in the Dropbox client, so why not for this particular one? The notification is helpful the first time it's displayed, but it's not helpful when seen every day.

Thanks!

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I always laugh when I see a staff member give out their [profanity removed by moderation as per the Community Guidelines] useless "solution"

I uninstalled shortly after making this thread simply because of your annoying ad [profanity removed by moderation as per the Community Guidelines] messages asking me to give you guys money

If I need to host files on a cloud now I'll just use Google drive on a browser

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I pruned a bunch of files, so now I have like 8 gb free. DB still won't fully sync on my PC...stuck with the blue "syncing" icon for days now. But I did discover how to disable the annoying popups on my desktop (Win 10). I clicked notification center thing in the very bottom right, found the dropbox notification, then right click and disallow notifications from dropbox. At least that is solved. I know I shouldn't complain about "free" stuff; it just feels like DB broke their promise to me about the storage I was given for complying with various actions, buying certain products that came with storage, etc.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?