cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Spam emails from Dropbox

Spam emails from Dropbox

clarebear
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

So I received these 3 emails today seemingly from Dropbox - must be spam as when I clicked on them it took me to a site looking like Dropbox asking me to sign in with my Yahoo or Google Or AOL account etc., and the URL was:

[link removed for security reasons]

Can't seem to attach screen shots?  Anyone else experienced this?

Clare

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
They arent spam.

They are phishing emails designed to steal your credentials.

They are not from Dropbox, its somebody pretending to be Dropbox so they can steal your account details when you click on the link - or, put viruses on your machine by clicking on the link.

I suggest you immediately change your password at www.dropbox.com/account if you have entered any info on that screen and also run some up to date virus/malware scans

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
They arent spam.

They are phishing emails designed to steal your credentials.

They are not from Dropbox, its somebody pretending to be Dropbox so they can steal your account details when you click on the link - or, put viruses on your machine by clicking on the link.

I suggest you immediately change your password at www.dropbox.com/account if you have entered any info on that screen and also run some up to date virus/malware scans

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

clarebear
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

No I wasn't so gullible as to enter anything on that screen 🙂  Thankfully I use a master password key that opens when I am in a legit website that I have an account with, so if that doesn't pop up - I'm automatically on high alret that it's spam/phishing.

Skyrunner
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I've had one too.  Didn't click on email link of course, but wondering if Dropbox have one of those addresses to forward phishing mail on to?

groundhog
Super User alumni
Go to solution

In short: e-mail abuse@dropbox.com about the issue. Long answer: check this link (not to worry, it's official dropbox)

https://www.dropbox.com/help/security/phishing-malware-protection

Carsos
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I got an email from a classmate that said they wanted to send me a file via Dropbox (click here to read message). So I clicked there, and it said for security reasons I had to sign in to my account (didn't say which; I chose email account). When I "signed in" I got a pop-up that normally is used to download things. So I clicked OK and watched my download folder to see what it was. Whoa!  A stream of files began to pour into my download folder. All of them were xxxxxx.part which usually means the file hasn't opened. But I was getting a steady stream of .part files. So I clicked cancel in the download pop-up window. No luck. I tried to close the download window. No luck. I just shut off my computer. When I restarted I deleted everything that had come in, including the email that tricked me in the first place. Separately I emailed the person who supposedly sent it to me and they said no, they did not send it. My guess is that something had invaded their contact list and was sending out this spam. Sure enough another friend had also received the same email. My second friend didn't sign in. But nevertheless, soon after that, a person in my second friend's contact list got the same email, supposedly from my second friend. So! this thing is proliferating through a phony Dropbox email. As of this moment I haven't received any emails from anyone in my contact list saying they had received this spam from me. I hope shutting down my computer before the .part files actually opened may have stopped it. I ran a Malwarebytes scan right after restarting my computer and it didn't find any resident malware. Is this what happened to you?

Need more support?