cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storage and Shared Folders

Highlighted

Storage and Shared Folders

New member | Level 2

A team member shared their folder with me so that I can upload things to her account.  I help her manage her business by creating graphics for it.  She pays for 2 TB's per month.  I have a basic account.  I am now being told that I have run out of space and cannot upload to her shared folder.  Why?  I am uploading to her account not mine. Her shared folder should not count against my storage space.  Why is this happening?  Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Storage and Shared Folders

Super User II

@stampcolorandcreate wrote:

She pays for 2 TB's per month.  I have a basic account.  I am now being told that I have run out of space and cannot upload to her shared folder.  Why?  I am uploading to her account not mine. Her shared folder should not count against my storage space.

Not quite accurate. You are uploading to your account. Any shared folder that you're a member of exists in and takes up space in your own account as well, so you need to have enough available space in your account in order to hold the full shared folder.

You'll either need to upgrade your own account, or ask her to send you a File Request so you can upload files directly to her account without having to add them to your own. Note that a File Request is one-way. Once uploaded, you wouldn't have access to the files you upload.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
Highlighted

Super User II

@stampcolorandcreate wrote:

She pays for 2 TB's per month.  I have a basic account.  I am now being told that I have run out of space and cannot upload to her shared folder.  Why?  I am uploading to her account not mine. Her shared folder should not count against my storage space.

Not quite accurate. You are uploading to your account. Any shared folder that you're a member of exists in and takes up space in your own account as well, so you need to have enough available space in your account in order to hold the full shared folder.

You'll either need to upgrade your own account, or ask her to send you a File Request so you can upload files directly to her account without having to add them to your own. Note that a File Request is one-way. Once uploaded, you wouldn't have access to the files you upload.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

Thank you!  A file request might work because once I am done with them, I don't need to have access to them.  I will let her know.  Hopefully she knows how to do that.  Appreciate your help with this!

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

Oh, lol. You linked me to directions! I will share those with her.  You are amazing! Thanks so much for your quick response.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

One more question.  When she sends a file request, will that allow me to upload multiple files or does she need to send a request for each file I have ready to upload?

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

Just in case anyone else wants to know the answer to my last question, we tested it out and I can add more than one file at a time.  Now all I need to do is go to the request she sent and upload as need be.  Thanks again for all the help resolving this issue.  File Requests is a great solution that works for us.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hi @stampcolorandcreate, I'm glad to hear that @Rich helped out with this query. 

If you need any further assistance in future, please let us know!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?