cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subscription unintentionally linked to Work account

Highlighted

Subscription unintentionally linked to Work account

Explorer | Level 4

When I signed up for a Plus subscription, it seems it got attached to my Work account, rather than my Personal account. I'm not sure why, and don't recall choosing.

We don't use Dropbox for work, and I'd rather take advantage of the Plus subscription on my personal account. What's the right way to do this? How do I ensure it links to the right account if I cancel? Is it possible to simply switch it over?

Thanks!

6 Replies 6
Highlighted

Re: Subscription unintentionally linked to Work account

Super User II

@ramblingpolak wrote:

When I signed up for a Plus subscription, it seems it got attached to my Work account, rather than my Personal account. I'm not sure why ...

Whichever account you're signed into on the Dropbox website while upgrading is the account that will receive the upgrade.

... I'd rather take advantage of the Plus subscription on my personal account. What's the right way to do this? How do I ensure it links to the right account if I cancel? Is it possible to simply switch it over?

Don't cancel. Cancelling will only end the auto-renewal at the next billing date. The account you upgraded will remain a Plus account until that time.

There isn't a way to transfer a subscription from one account to another. Your best option will be to switch the email addresses on the accounts, so the paid account has your personal address and the free account has your work email.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

That didn't work out quite the way I'd hoped. It simply swapped email addresses, but not the contents of the accounts.

Sounds like cancelling and re-subscribing is my only option here. (My renewal date is coming up anyway).

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

The other odd part, is if you're signed into Personal, and click the "Upgrade" account button, it instead redirects me to my Work account to sign in and update my plan there.

So, I don't see how its possible two have two linked accounts both on the Plus plan either.

My personal account gets none of the Plus features, just the additional storage currently.

Highlighted

Super User II

@ramblingpolak wrote:

That didn't work out quite the way I'd hoped. It simply swapped email addresses, but not the contents of the accounts.

It's not meant to swap the content. You'll need to do that on your own through a shared folder or by manually moving files around. It's only meant to put your personal email address on the paid account. You can then move the accounts and files around so they're where you need them.

So, I don't see how its possible two have two linked accounts both on the Plus plan either.

You can't have multiple Plus accounts linked to the same computer. You can have a Business account and a Personal account linked and syncing to the same computer, but you can't have two Personal or two Business accounts.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Not what I meant.

I have:

Personal -- Basic
Work -- Plus

Say I want this result:

Personal -- Plus
Work -- Plus

Signing into Personal account, clicking Upgrade plan, rather than allowing me to upgrade my Basic personal account to a Plus personal account, redirects me to plan managment for my Work account.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hey @ramblingpolak - are you still having issues with this?

As Rich suggested, you won't be possible to have both of your connected accounts on the Plus plan. 

The best way to achieve what you'd like in this case, would be to disconnect your accounts and then upgrade the right account.

To disconnect your accounts please navigate to your account settings by visiting https://www.dropbox.com/account 

Under "Connected Dropboxes" you will see an option to disconnect your personal and work Dropboxes.

If you disconnect your paired accounts then the account that was linked to your devices second will be unlinked from those devices.

You should be able to upgrade both accounts to the Plus plan then with no issues. 

I hope this helps and please keep us posted on your progress!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?