cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suppress low disk space message

Suppress low disk space message

RTouris
Explorer | Level 4

So I'm on the 'free' dropbox service, however through referrals over the years I managed to max-out the space to ~25GB, however at about 90% used (i.e. 22.5/25GB) i started getting the usual message informing me about that fact.

The thing is I'm running at such a percentage (90-95%) for the last six months now and the same message keeps notifying me again and again...is there any way to either suppress that and/or custom-set a size threshold for it to appear, like for example if there's less than 250MB left on the quota?

It's getting somewhat irritating repetitively stating the obvious..

8 Replies 8

Re: Suppress low disk space message

Rich
Super User II

If you're referring to the email notification, you can disable it on your Account page.

Jane
Dropboxer

Hey RTouris

Thanks for reaching out on the Dropbox Community, glad to have this resolved with you! 

Please have a look at the steps below: 

#1. Click on the small Dropbox icon in your menu bar or system tray (bottom right of your screen if you are on a Windows computer, top right if you are on a Mac)
#2. Click on the gray colored gear icon :gear: 
#3. Select "Preferences..."
#4. Toggle the boxes of the notifications you'd like to enable or disable

If you need further assistance, just let me know here! 

Warm regards, 
JaneA

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Rich
Super User II

@Jane,

Neither of the notification options in Preferences refer to the low space notification that RTouris is receiving. Those only (seem) to account for Comments, Shares, Mentions and synced file activity.

The only notification option that seems to be available for low space is the email notification on our Account page.

Jane
Dropboxer

Hey @Rich

Thanks for the nudge and apologies for my misunderstanding. 

I was able to double-check and you are right indeed. I had the impression that users are receiving an overquota pop-up notification on their desktop, as additional to the one they are getting on the website. 

@RTouris please keep in mind that, because this notification can only be found on the website, this can't be disabled from there. Apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused you. 

If there's anything else I can do to help, please let me know in your reply!

Warm regards, 
JaneA

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

RTouris
Explorer | Level 4
I'm referring to the MacOS app/client notification that keeps on popping up...AFAIK that specific one is impossible to disable currently..

Jane
Dropboxer

Hey RTouris

Thanks for the swift reply! 

To my mind a fresh re-installation may help you reload all visual elements. Please make sure you save and quit ALL programs that access files in the Dropbox folder.

Here are the steps:

#1. Stop Dropbox (If needed):
- Click the Dropbox icon in the system tray at the top of your screen.
- Click on the gear icon :gear: in the Notifications panel and select "Quit Dropbox".

#2. Uninstall Dropbox:
Please note that if Dropbox was installed by a Windows administrator in Program Files, you will need admin permissions to remove the application.

#3. When the uninstall finishes, reboot your computer just to finish with the uninstallation. 

#4. Download and install the newest version of Dropbox. 

If this persists, please let me know in your reply! 

Kind regards, 
JaneA

Jane
dropbox.com/support

RTouris
Explorer | Level 4

First off this is a MacOS dual-client installation and as such I'm referring to the dropbox user nearing his quota notification that is being passed onto the OS's internal system for it to display...In turn the notification message under discussion here is the one that is being presented when the user exceeds approximately 90% of the Dropbox user quota. It so happens that in my case and under the current circumstances for the last few months or so I have <1.5GB of available drobox user space still available, however that falls well over the ~90% point and as a result I'm getting said notification every 4-6 hours I believe which is a bit repetitive to say the least...

I hope this was clear indeed..in await of your reply

edit: I've already tried reisntalling the client on one of my workstations in an effort to remedy some other issue I've opened a ticket for, but as expected this had nothing to do with the notification 'issue'...

Allan G.
Explorer | Level 4
Unfortunately I have no solution, but i agree with you wholeheartedly. My storage is always around the 91-95% level, and this thing pops up repeatedly. Dropbox, do you think I don't know by now?? Strangely it only seems to appear on startup or waking from sleep with my Vista machine (I know...) but much more often and at random on my Windows 10 laptop.
Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Allan G. Explorer | Level 4
    RTouris Explorer | Level 4
    Jane Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?