cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you an educator? Well we want to hear from you, so check out some tools we think might help you out here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sync Files to Dropbox folder take my space at my internal hard drive

Sync Files to Dropbox folder take my space at my internal hard drive

rotemmansano
New member | Level 2

Hi friends from some reason when I move files to the Dropbox folder its takes space

from my internal hard drive instead of syncing it to the Dropbox server. why is that ?

TNX

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Sync Files to Dropbox folder take my space at my internal hard drive

Rich
Super User II

rotemmansano wrote:

from some reason when I move files to the Dropbox folder its takes space from my internal hard drive instead of syncing it to the Dropbox server. why is that ?

It's supposed to. Dropbox is not a cloud-based drive where your files only exist in the cloud. It's a file synchronization service, meant to keep a copy of the data in your local Dropbox folder in sync with the copy in your account online. The Dropbox folder on your local drive is a folder like any other and will take space.

If you need to save space on your local drive, then you can remove selected folders using Selective Sync. Just make sure a folder is fully synced before you uncheck it.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

sulli86
Super User alumni

is this when you are using smart sync on a business account or just a personal account?

rotemmansano
New member | Level 2

I have a DropBox Plus 

rotemmansano
New member | Level 2

I have a DropBox Plus 

sulli86
Super User alumni

dropbox plus does not give you Smart Sync, you would need to set up selective sync and select the folders you want on your computer (this is done in dropbox setting), This does not index the offline data though meaning you will not see the folder structure on your computer at all until you allow those files to sync again.

If you want to be able to leave everything in the "cloud" and only download the files as needed but see the filenames etc on your computer you would need to upgrade to business standard. 

Rich
Super User II

rotemmansano wrote:

from some reason when I move files to the Dropbox folder its takes space from my internal hard drive instead of syncing it to the Dropbox server. why is that ?

It's supposed to. Dropbox is not a cloud-based drive where your files only exist in the cloud. It's a file synchronization service, meant to keep a copy of the data in your local Dropbox folder in sync with the copy in your account online. The Dropbox folder on your local drive is a folder like any other and will take space.

If you need to save space on your local drive, then you can remove selected folders using Selective Sync. Just make sure a folder is fully synced before you uncheck it.

View solution in original post

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    sulli86 Super User alumni
    rotemmansano New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?