cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Team folder disappeared

OwlAngel
Explorer | Level 3

I had a personal account and a team account for several years to share my personal and work files between my PC and laptop. However, the name of the team account has always been a big problem: Because of those strange quotation marks in the name of the team folder, it was not possible to write a batch file that copies some files from the team folder to another folder every time you log on: folder of the "team name ". I saved the batch file as ANSI, as UTF-8 with or without a BOM. The Windows console did not recognize these strange quotation marks and was unable to execute the copy command.

So I moved the files to another folder and deleted the team folder. Unfortunately, I did not read the message while deleting the team folder. I just wanted to get rid of a folder with weird quotes in the name. Now the team account is no longer synchronized. When I try to log into the team account, I get a message that the team account no longer exists. I don't understand what happened. Can someone please explain what happened? And how can I get my team account back? Or could it really be that I accidentally deleted my free team account and will never get it back?

3 Replies 3

Re: Team folder disappeared

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hi there @OwlAngel, let's see what we can find here. 

You mention that you deleted the team folder, so could you clarify if you are referring to the actual Dropbox folder itself? 

Also, do you get the error message in question when you try to sign in to your account from the website?

A screenshot (without any personal info) would be super helpful. 

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

OwlAngel
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Lusil, thank your for your reply. I signed in to the team account to look for a way to change the team folder name. I wanted a name without those weird quotes. While there is a way to change the name within the quotation marks, there is no way to get a name without quotation marks. So I decided to copy the entire contents of the team folder to another folder and delete the team folder as it is completely useless to me because of those weird quotes. These strange quotation marks prevent Windows batch scripts from automating tasks. I found the option to delete the team folder. I was advised that doing so would downgrade all users involved to a private account. This made sense to me and didn't bother me because I only have a private account. I was not advised that the team account would be also downgraded to a private account. Otherwise I would never have deleted the team folder. Now the team account is a private account that I can no longer use as a team account. Also, I can no longer invite other people as team members because the team account is now a private account. Since I only form teams with other self-employed people from time to time, it's not worth upgrading to a business account for me. It's a shame that Dropbox doesn't offer this anymore, I'll have to look elsewhere. Or is there still a way to undo my mistake?

Lusil
Dropboxer
It sounds like the free team was disbanded, in which case, I'm afraid cannot be undone. 

You can still collaborate with others by sending them shared folders and shared links, but to their personal/private accounts. 

I understand how important this was for you and thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. 

If anything else comes up in the future, don't hesitate to give us another shout. 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Are you starting new work habits this year?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?