cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer coupon to the correct account

Transfer coupon to the correct account

mrooneyvt
Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

I have two Dropbox accounts, one my personal and one for a non-profit I do some work with. Through the Quicken beta program I received a coupon for 5GB of space in my personal account. When I clicked on apply the coupon, I did not notice Dropbox was applying it to my account as part of the non-profit until I pushed the enter key. The coupon was supposed to be applied to my personal personal Dropbox account so I could do some testing of Quicken with Dropbox. Since both accounts are mine, how can I transfer the 5GB to my personal account?

Thank you and regards,

..michael..

7 Replies 7

Re: Transfer coupon to the correct account

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hi @mrooneyvt, I hope you're well today!

We wouldn't be able to transfer the space to another account I'm afraid.

In this case, I could suggest a work around, which would be to switch the emails on the accounts, and the switch the files too so that you will essentially have the space on the correct account.

If you'd like to try that, you'd need to temporarily use a third email address as a placeholder to free up one of the emails so that you can change them.

You can then easily move files over from one account to the other using shared folders.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

mrooneyvt
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Daphne,

Why, for goodness sake, can Dropbox not just switch the 5 GB to the other account? Or, failing that, reverse the addition of the 5GB coupon from that account and I will go back and re-submit the coupon to the corrent account? A third option is Dropbox could just re-enable the coupon and I could apply it where it should have been. I will not use even 2 GB of storage on the Lamoile Fiber account which is what was there before. I cannot see any technical reason the unused 5GB cannot be switched to my other account where it belongs. 

Switching all of the files, etc. is just too big a waste of my time. I do not have enoguh time as it is. 

Alternatively, as Chair of Lamoille Fiber, we could just drop Dropbox and switch to Google Drive. 

Regards,

..michael..

mrooneyvt
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Daphne,

No reply? 

Is there really no way out of this situation that works for Dropbox? 

I have been a Dropbox user for many years and really would like to continue. 

Regards,

..michael..

Daphne
Dropboxer
Thanks for getting back to me here @mrooneyvt.

I'm afraid this would be the only option, other than reaching out to Quicken to request a new coupon code to apply to the correct account.

Once the coupon is redeemed, we're not able to transfer it to another account.

Sorry that I can't be of much more help with this, but do let me know if you have any questions!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

mrooneyvt
Explorer | Level 3

Sorry Daphne,

I cannot accept the answer "Once the coupon is redeemed, we're not able to transfer it to another account." I know, given my technical knowledge, it is not a question of being able. Dropbox certainly has enough technical expertise to subtract the storage from one account and add it to another account. This is not a technical problem. 

Looking at this as a purely technical problem, I would say Dropbox has a bug in its web app that allows a customer to apply a coupon to an account the coupon is not intended for. It is not a purely technical problem though. There are probably a variety of use cases that need to be examined to decide how the web app should work.

There is no reason I can see yet why the 5GB cannot be transferred between my two accounts. The 5 GB is not used where it was applied so there is no problem taking it away from that account. 

You probably are not given the ability to do this switch on your own. Please take it "up the line" to someone who can make that decision. 

Thank you and regards,

..michael..

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @mrooneyvt, I understand your frustration over this matter.

Unfortunately, as my colleague mentioned, it isn't possible for Dropbox to transfer the coupon or quota to another account, as it has already been redeemed on an account, and it can't be removed from the account either until it expires.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news. If there's anything else I can assist with, please let me know. 

Jay
dropbox.com/support

mrooneyvt
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Jay,

Thank you for replying. 

I understand what you are saying. However when you say "it isn't possible for Dropbox to transfer the coupon or quota to another account" I see no reason it is not possible. It cannot be a technical reason for it not to be possible. Storage for any account is just a number in a database surely. I cannot imaging how else it could reasonably be done. 

That leads me to think the reason it is not possible is because someone in Dropbox management has decreed it. Assuming that is the case, who is it and how can I talk to them? 

Regards and thank you,

..michael..

Poll
Which Dropbox integrations are you using while working from home?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?