Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

URGENT - Unknown Activity in Dropbox Account

chris d.7 New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Anyone from DB reading this - my account is delivering dozens of random unknown file adds and deletion messages. What's going on?

14 Replies 14

Re: URGENT - Unknown Activity in Dropbox Account

Super User II
Super User II

Look at your Events page to see the source of the files. View the previous version history of one of the files and it will show you the device name (in parenthesis) that it's originating from.

New member | Level 1

Done - I see files deleted - not by me or any of my colleagues with additional insertions of two files - a ".locky" file and a second file called "_HELP_instructions.txt". 

By the looks of things, the attack went after .xls and .doc files leaving .pdf files intact.

How can I get DB to assist in this and restore the deleted files?

FYI - Passwords have been changed to prevent further activity.

New member | Level 1

Correction - .jpg and .pdf files are also impacted. 

Looks like hundreds to low thousands of files have been impacted.

Super User II
Super User II

Locky - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/the-locky-ransomware-encrypts-local-files-and-unmapped...

How can I get DB to assist in this and restore the deleted files?

Open a ticket and request a rollback of your account.

Passwords have been changed to prevent further activity.

That won't do anything. The virus is on your computer already, and your password is only used to link your computer to your account. It's no longer used by Dropbox once the computer has been linked.

New member | Level 1

Thank you Rich.

We shut down the assumed problem computer during all this as well - didn't mention that - any quick references  as to how to get rid of this virus?

New member | Level 1

Also is this an issue for both Mac and PC's - just PCs?

Alessandro P.13 New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I have the same problem here. I bought Avast paid version and scan 3 PC, nothing.
I'm tryng with Bit Defender Anti-crypto locker now, let's see.
I also need advice, I have 4 users on a DropBox shered Team folder, I scanned all PC already, it seems not workink with standard anti-virus.
An I don't know what shall I do after to restore the original files.
My IT guy told me that the problem cannot be solved, but we can only pay the hacker to get tne encryption key. Don't believe him.
If anyone has a clue, please inform the community.
Thanks a lot everybody!

Super User II
Super User II

any quick references  as to how to get rid of this virus?

Scan your system with any of the leading antivirus and anti-malware applications. You may not find anything though. Some of these ransomware variants are hit-and-run; they encrypt your files and then disappear. If that's the case, just keep your protection software updated and runs scans often to be sure it's gone.

Also is this an issue for both Mac and PC's - just PCs?

It was until recently. The first ransomware virus was recently discovered on a Mac. It was caught pretty quickly so it wasn't very effective, but that doesn't mean much. Once one is found it's just a matter of time until others show up. Welcome to the club!

My IT guy told me that the problem cannot be solved, but we can only pay the hacker to get tne encryption key. Don't believe him.

If your files were in Dropbox then you can open a ticket and request a rollback of your account (see links posted earlier in this thread). For any files that are outside of Dropbox, you would have to go back to your own backups. You do backup your files, don't you? If you don't have your own backups, then any files outside of Dropbox are lost, unless you pay the ransom, and DO NOT pay the ransom, because you're only enabling them to continue if you do, and there's no guarantee that you'll get your files back.

Ilse B. New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Hi can anyone please help me. 

Our Dropbox somehow duplicated all our files from one folder to another folder in Dropbox.  I am talking about 180 000 files (113 GB)

The files are currently syncing from the one folder to the other one.  Not one of our users copied these files? 

Is there any way I can check how this happened. 

Can I pause the syncing and copy the new folder to an external hard drive just as a back up?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?