cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to access shared folder

Highlighted

Unable to access shared folder

New member | Level 2

Hi guys.

One of my friends shared a folder with me (4 gb) but when I want to add it, it shows : "To add this folder, you’ll need more space in your Dropbox."

I dont understand why because 2 weeks ago I had access to a folder with 19 gb.

I have the standard dropbox (free version), my friend has the business version (1TB).

Any clues ?

Tnx

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Unable to access shared folder

New member | Level 2

I think you used 2 different methods in getting the shared folder:

1. 19GB one - most likely there was a link for you to download the shared content, and this folder was not added into your dropbox account

2. 4GB one - this folder was added to your dropbox account, thus your dropbox was not big enough to accomodate it

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
Highlighted

Super User II

You cant access it because it will put you over your account quota. 

Shared folders use up everybody who is in its space. 

So, to have access to a 4GB folder you need at least that much free space in your account.

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

But Mark,

I wrote that I had access in the past to a 19gb folder ..

It was the same back then - I only had 4gb.

So, why should it be different now ? Maybe there are some settings made wrong when I was given access ?

Thank you,

Highlighted

Super User II

When you accepted the share you must have either had enough space, as the share was under your allowed limit (you more free space or shared folder smaller).

You've never been able to accept a share which puts you over quota. However, once in a share, it is possible that files added after will take you over the limit.

Note as well though that if you go over quota syncing stops and you'd not see all the 19gb of files - you would see the first xgb of data until your account was full.

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

I think you used 2 different methods in getting the shared folder:

1. 19GB one - most likely there was a link for you to download the shared content, and this folder was not added into your dropbox account

2. 4GB one - this folder was added to your dropbox account, thus your dropbox was not big enough to accomodate it

View solution in original post

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?