cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to change my email address - despite trying to follow help directions

Unable to change my email address - despite trying to follow help directions

Mickey20
New member | Level 2

I've read the online guidance on how to change my email address, and have tried following them repeatedly, but to no avail. It seems like the settings are frozen and all I can do is Turn Passcode On. No such options/tabs like General, etc, which the help directions make reference to, and in the account details my email address is frozen. When I click on the gear, all I can change is the Turn Password On. The links under Privacy do work. 

No directions can work when the app software is faulty!! This continues to be a very frustrating experience that brings me closer and closer to getting rid of this whole app. Oh, one other thing: the link in my acct for getting the paid version of Dropbox does work... 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Unable to change my email address - despite trying to follow help directions

Rich
Super User II

@Mickey20 wrote:

No directions can work when the app software is faulty!!

The directions aren't for the app; they're for the Dropbox website.

From here: https://help.dropbox.com/accounts-billing/settings-sign-in/change-email

fa92b5bab1ecb4a16bcc08961e75dd91.png

You can't change your email address from the app. You need to sign into your account on the Dropbox website. Once signed in, you can change your email address on your Account page.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Re: Unable to change my email address - despite trying to follow help directions

Rich
Super User II

@Mickey20 wrote:

No directions can work when the app software is faulty!!

The directions aren't for the app; they're for the Dropbox website.

From here: https://help.dropbox.com/accounts-billing/settings-sign-in/change-email

fa92b5bab1ecb4a16bcc08961e75dd91.png

You can't change your email address from the app. You need to sign into your account on the Dropbox website. Once signed in, you can change your email address on your Account page.

View solution in original post

Mickey20
New member | Level 2

Thank you for your reply. Indeed, the email change is not able to be accomplished in the app. I've tried more times than I can count by now to make the change using the website. It informed me that it sent me a confirmation at my new email address, and if I clicked on the link in that email I'd be all set. I did that. It then gave me the website login page, asking me to log in. I tried using my my new email address. No recognition. The s/w insists on hanging on to my old email address. It claimed my passwd didn't match, so I changed my passwd and tried again. No luck. After a number of various tries, neither the new and old email worked anymore. Luckily, Dropbox stubbornly held on to my old email acct, and I was able to re-access my acct by changing my passwd for the old email. Interestingly, when I tried changing my email again it gave me the same message - that a confirmation email has been sent to my new email acct., but the email no longer arrived (I went a number of times through this exercise). No, the confirmation email is not in my spam folder - not only did I repeatedly check, but also put "No-reply@dropbox.com" in my contact list, to avoid its being placed in the spam folder. 

That it's been a horrible experience is to put it mildly. 

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hi @Mickey20, I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with this!

Since you're not receiving the verification email, I'd suggest contacting our Support team so that they can assist you further with this as we'd need to have a look into some account specific info with you.

Via an incognito window, please visit this page and fill in the relevant details under "Submit a Help Request".

If you'd like to, you can let me know the ticket number (eg. #1234567) you receive and I can pass along the info you kindly provided us here.

Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

NiceGuyNextDoor
New member | Level 2

Same problem here with Dropbox's dead end instructions for changing your account email. I've used Dropbox several years, and have enthusiasticly told my friends. So, what happened? I moved to gmail.com and the instructions for changing your email address are you go to your name, into your account, and locate your email address under the General tab.  There's no email address under the General tab. Just in case Dropbox is being bought out and stalling consumers with AI endless loop "support", I backed up onto two external hard drives. Can you imagine storing all your folders and files exclusively on Dropbox to save space on your computer and have this kind of run around non-personal support? 

NiceGuyNextDoor
New member | Level 2

Never mind. I followed the OTHER instructions. 

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

NiceGuyNextDoor New member | Level 2
    Daphne Dropboxer
    Mickey20 New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?