cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Unable to permanently delete files in Delete Files folder

Unable to permanently delete files in Delete Files folder

lesleyd
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Wow. I have now waited 6 days for Dropbox to answer this question. Seriously. What does it take????????? And first I checked everywhere I can but no one seems to have had this problem.

There is no option to permanently delete files in my Delete Files folder any more. It's gone. The options are now "Cancel" and "Restore Files". I have unshared the files so they should be able to be permanently deleted. But that option is no longer there - gone, gone, gone, gone. I have tried Chrome and Safari with the same result. 

Is there anyone out there in this universe who has the answer to why I can't free up space in my Dropbox? Do I have to move to another system all together? Has Dropbox decided to stop functioning? 

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there @lesleyd.

Initially, please bear in mind that deleted and permanently deleted files don't count against your storage quota. Permanently deleting files after they have already been deleted doesn't free any more space in your Dropbox. You can find out more info about this here

Furthermore, you can check your Plan tab for more details on your storage since it includes info about unused space and space taken up by regular files and shared files. If you’d like to unshare any content in your Dropbox account, please see relevant steps in this article

Finally,  I was able to locate your ongoing communication from my side and I can see that it’s under review by a specialized member of my team. Due to account-specific info required, I’d kindly recommend continuing this discussion via email with them. I’ve made sure to pass your comments along and they’ll get back to you as soon as they have more info so as to further troubleshoot with you. Rest assured, they’ll do their best to assist you. 

Let me know if you have any other questions! :upside_down:

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

lesleyd
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thank you for your response.

I did receive the response I needed from your team, and it took 8 days from the first communication I sent to get my answer. That is why I put this question into the Community Help Center.

For anyone else who wants to know, the option to permanently delete files in the Deleted Folder has changed. It is no longer in the line of the file or folder. You now have to tick the box on the left-hand side next to the folder or file you want to deleted. Then, on the right-hand side 2 options show up: "Restore" or "Permanently Delete". This is how you can permanently delete files now.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Can you post a screenshot as Dropbox doesnt have a deleted files folder so I'm a tad confused as to where you are.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there @lesleyd.

Initially, please bear in mind that deleted and permanently deleted files don't count against your storage quota. Permanently deleting files after they have already been deleted doesn't free any more space in your Dropbox. You can find out more info about this here

Furthermore, you can check your Plan tab for more details on your storage since it includes info about unused space and space taken up by regular files and shared files. If you’d like to unshare any content in your Dropbox account, please see relevant steps in this article

Finally,  I was able to locate your ongoing communication from my side and I can see that it’s under review by a specialized member of my team. Due to account-specific info required, I’d kindly recommend continuing this discussion via email with them. I’ve made sure to pass your comments along and they’ll get back to you as soon as they have more info so as to further troubleshoot with you. Rest assured, they’ll do their best to assist you. 

Let me know if you have any other questions! :upside_down:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

lesleyd
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thank you for your response.

I did receive the response I needed from your team, and it took 8 days from the first communication I sent to get my answer. That is why I put this question into the Community Help Center.

For anyone else who wants to know, the option to permanently delete files in the Deleted Folder has changed. It is no longer in the line of the file or folder. You now have to tick the box on the left-hand side next to the folder or file you want to deleted. Then, on the right-hand side 2 options show up: "Restore" or "Permanently Delete". This is how you can permanently delete files now.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for the detailed response and glad to hear you were able to resolve your concern, @lesleyd!

If you have any questions in the future, don’t hesitate to get back to us. In the mean time, have a wonderful week ahead! :laughing:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

dangteena
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I cannot find the option to delete a file?  I've literally tried everything. 

HOW CAN I DELETE A FILE????

WHY does DELETE not show up as an option for my files?

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there, @dangteena

If you're trying to delete files or folders on the website:

1. Sign in.
  2. Navigate to Files. 
  3. Locate the file or folder you want to delete.
  4. Click on the ellipsis (...) that's on the right of it.
  5. Select Delete from the drop-down menu.

If you're trying to remove a file or folder from your desktop app, please remember that the Dropbox folder is just like any other folder on your computer. In that sense, you can delete a file or folder that's in your Dropbox folder as you would delete any other file or folder on your computer. 

Finally, if you're trying to delete a file or folder from the mobile app, I'd recommend checking out this article which provides more relevant info depending on the OS of your mobile device. 

I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?