cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unauthorized acccess to my dropbox

Unauthorized acccess to my dropbox

Holck
New member | Level 2

Other user has in 2012 accidently put pictures in a folder in my dropbox and now his name appears instead of mine. I still have access, but because the dropbox was established while I had a company email address which no longer exist can I not enter as administrator, but only as user. 

My main question is how on earth another user can enter, change user name and leave data. 

I have now found the person, and I have talke to him. He does not recall, what he has done. He has the same initials as me, but not the same email address 

3 Replies 3

Re: Unauthorized acccess to my dropbox

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @Holck, thanks for messaging today.

It sounds like this other user might have accessed your account by signing into it unintentionally. Either your Dropbox account was signed into another computer they owned, or still in via a browser. Once signed in, they can change the username from this page on the account.

Regarding being an administrator, is this account part of a Dropbox Business team, or a personal account?

This will help me assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Holck
New member | Level 2

I have personally made the original account with my business email.

When I retired, I "changed" the email adress til my private email which I have had for more than 20 years.

I do not use dropbox very often, but I have shared files with others a few times over the years. 

Apparently I have not managed to change my password as owner, but have just established an ekstra user account.

I concider copying my photos and pdf-files, save them elsewhere and then try to close the account - but how, now I can't administer?

Jens 

Jay
Dropboxer

Could you check if you have any other devices connected to your account from this page? If need be you can unlink them from there.

You mentioned that you didn't change your password, but instead created a new Dropbox account. Does this mean that you now have two Dropbox accounts, under the old business account and the new personal account?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Are you starting new work habits this year?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?