Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Unauthorized login. How can I get more information about the IP?

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I got an email notification that there was a login from another part of the United States. I went and canceled the session and changed the password. Still, would like to access the IP for more info. Surely Dropbox must have that logged somewhere still. 

Please help. This is a sensitive security issue. 

Thanks. 

7 Replies 7
Highlighted

Re: Unauthorized login. How can I get more information about the IP?

Super User II
Super User II

No I'm afraid not.

Once you've cancelled the session you have lost all information surrounding it.

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Mark Mc,  I also got an email notification that there was a login from another part of the United States. I have not cancelled the session but will change my password today. The dropbox email message is pasted below.

I looked and at about that time I was uploading images from my iPhone. At least that is the latest event on my Recents list.

Is this something that I should be worried about? Or might my activity been routed through Columbus?

Many thanks,

Roger 

We noticed you logged into Dropbox using Chrome on Mac OS Xfrom Columbus, OH, United States* at 10:11 PM GMT-05:00.

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

If you've logged in and get an email I would not be too concerned - I'm often told I'm in another part of the UK, but, thats probably as my ISP routes that way.

- - -

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I had the same issue. Is it not possible to recover the IP address of this unauthorised connection at all?? 

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II
No, it's not. If you've closed the session then the information is gone.

Also, keep in mind that if you're using Dropbox around the time that you see one of these "unauthorized" sessions from an area that you're not in, it very well could be you still. The geolocation data that Dropbox uses (likely from a third-party, as most people use) is not very accurate. It's based on the location of the owner of the IP and not the ACTUAL location of the IP. I often receive notices that I've logged in from New Jersey, and I'm nearly 300 miles from there.
Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hey Rich,

These suspicious accesses to my account are taking place at different times and days than my acknowledged ones. They are also happening more than 1150 miles far from my actual location...

I would like to report this to the authorities. Any advice on this?

Many thanks

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

You need to contact the Authorities yourself.

However, I doubt very very much if they will do anything - suspicious log ons to a website are not exactly high priority (sadly). All I can suggest is making sure you set up 2 Factor security and have a strong password.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to Ask help from the Community here.]

- - -

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?