cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unknown IP Address / Device Unlinkable

Unknown IP Address / Device Unlinkable

Mina23
New member | Level 2
Hello all,

I just noticed under the security tab in my Dropbox accounts that my current session is an IP address that's not mine and that's in another location. Because it's the 'current session' I'm also unable to unlink it for security.

I know IP address locations aren't always accurate but is that the case with the actual IP addresses? I've updated my passwords but is there a way to unlink this unknown device? (if needed).

Thanks in advance.
2 Replies 2

Re: Unknown IP Address / Device Unlinkable

Rich
Super User II

@Mina23 wrote:
I know IP address locations aren't always accurate but is that the case with the actual IP addresses?

Remember that it will be the IP address of your Internet connection (router, gateway, etc.); not the IP address of your computer. Do an IP lookup for the IP address in question. If it's your Internet provider, chances are it's your actual IP.

Re: Unknown IP Address / Device Unlinkable

Mina23
New member | Level 2

Thanks Richard, yes I had already looked up the IP address and it was not mine.  Anyhow, it appears to be resolved.  My IPv6 address is showing under the current session.  All I did was release and renew my IP address in command prompt, run dropbox's security checkup and revoke all trusted devices.  Hopefully it should be ok now but I'll report back if anything changes.  Many thanks.

Poll
Which Dropbox integrations are you using while working from home?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?