Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Uploaded drop box file is different size to a person I am sharing with.

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I uploaded photos to my son and file size is 40 GB but my son only said sharing size is 3.2 GB. Up loade file effects startup disk space in Mac? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: uploaded drop box file is different size to a person I am sharing with.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey again, Sam, 

Thanks for getting back to me with the extra details. Can you tell me what you mean when you refer to your start-up disk

In any case, I’ll try to answer your question as best I can. 

In short, yes, our desktop app does affect your local hard disk space. When you install our app, it automatically will sync all your online content to your computer, in the local Dropbox folder. The default location for the local Dropbox folder is on your main hard disk. As you put more and more content into your Dropbox, this folder will increase in size. As you have started sharing .psd files with your son, this may account for the sudden decrease in available space on your local hard disk, since they are much larger than .jpeg files

There are a couple of things you can do: 

• You can use selective sync to remove the local copy of certain folders you don’t need to have synced on your computer. These will then be available only online, until you choose to have them sync to your computer again. 

• If you just need to send files to your son, you can do so using File Requests. Your son can create a file request, send it to you, and then you’ll be able to upload files directly to his account, without having to use a shared folder. 

I hope this helps. Let me know. 
Cheers! 

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @sushiichi48, welcome to our community! 

Can you please clarify the situation for me? 

Are you and your son sharing a folder where you can both upload photos to? If so, how did you upload the 40GB worth of photos? Did you use our desktop app, or did you upload using our website? How is your son accessing this folder? By logging in to his account online, or using our desktop app

In either case, that much data (40GB) may take some time to upload, before it can become completely available to your son. Until all photos are finished uploading, he will only see the ones that have completed the transfer process. 

If he has limited space on his computer’s hard disk, our desktop application will not be able to completely sync the entire folder. If this is the case, he will need to free up some space on his drive.

Alternatively, he could use our Selective Sync feature to prevent that folder from syncing to his computer, and then only access it from our web interface at https://www.dropbox.com

Let me know.
Thanks! 

Sanchez

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

THank you for your prompt reply. My son is building website for me and I uploaded jpeg first then he told me quality is not good enough he wanted PSD pile in original format. 

So what I did was to save PSD file from my phtoshop and save into drop box as PSD file and my son export in JPG file into website. 

My question is this, does dropbox effect my start-up disk because I have a large memory but since I start using drop box I seem to run out start up disk space. If so how do I have to change so drop box does not effect my disc space. 

Thank you, 

Sam Okamoto 

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey again, Sam, 

Thanks for getting back to me with the extra details. Can you tell me what you mean when you refer to your start-up disk

In any case, I’ll try to answer your question as best I can. 

In short, yes, our desktop app does affect your local hard disk space. When you install our app, it automatically will sync all your online content to your computer, in the local Dropbox folder. The default location for the local Dropbox folder is on your main hard disk. As you put more and more content into your Dropbox, this folder will increase in size. As you have started sharing .psd files with your son, this may account for the sudden decrease in available space on your local hard disk, since they are much larger than .jpeg files

There are a couple of things you can do: 

• You can use selective sync to remove the local copy of certain folders you don’t need to have synced on your computer. These will then be available only online, until you choose to have them sync to your computer again. 

• If you just need to send files to your son, you can do so using File Requests. Your son can create a file request, send it to you, and then you’ll be able to upload files directly to his account, without having to use a shared folder. 

I hope this helps. Let me know. 
Cheers! 

Sanchez

View solution in original post

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?