cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Uploading very large files (300GB)

Uploading very large files (300GB)

Andrew G.36
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

uploading very large files

I have tried to upload a 300GB file to dropbox (I have 1TB capacity) using the Mac desktop application and I am being informed that there isn't enough free space. I bought this extra memory as dropbox write:"Files uploaded to Dropbox via the desktop application or mobile apps have no file size limit". Am I doing something wrong?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

How are you uploading the file and what errors are you getting?

If you're trying to upload the file through the website you won't be able to as it has a file size limit of 10GB. For files larger than 10GB you need to download and install the Dropbox client. This will create a local Dropbox folder on your computer and sync everything in your account. Simply place your file in that folder and wait for it to sync. Be patient, because a 66GB file will take a long time to upload.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Do you have enough hard drive space?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Andrew G.36
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi.

No I have very little hard-drive space, I want these files to be available on dropbox only

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

You need the hard drive space to upload them though. 

Dropbox is a real life local folder that resides on your machine. That means it takes up space. Once things are uploaded you can remove them locally via Selective Sync but they MUST go in the Dropbox folder first if they are large. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Andrew G.36
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

ok thanks

Andrew G.36
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

But i haven't solved the problem yet

I need to upload 300GB of photos and other very large files DIRECT to dropbox from an external hard-drive, where the drive on my Mac has only around 90GB of free spaces. Hence the files would need to go from Hard-drive direct to dropbox. Once in dropbox I can select sync the files I want copied on my mac.

How do I do this?

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Unless you can upload via the website (for individual files) you can't. 

You need to upload via your main hard drive. 

Dropbox is not supported on external drives. 

Andrew G.36
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I should have checked this before wasting ā‚¬99 on an annual subscription; Dropbox doesn't work for me.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

The key thing to remember is that Dropbox isnt a backup tool. Its a syncing tool. Its designed to have everything local on all devices. 

Andrew G.36
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I know, I will continue using it for that, but I thought I could back-up large files of data from may external drive direct to dropbox.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nick D.21 New member | Level 1
    Rich Super User II
    Andrew G.36 New member | Level 1
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?