cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User vs secondary email. Plus plan states 1 user but it can have a secondary email. What is the diff

User vs secondary email. Plus plan states 1 user but it can have a secondary email. What is the diff

AWHCPE
Explorer | Level 4

Plus plan states 1 user but it can have a secondary email. What is the difference?

I am the president of a very small non-profit state membership association. I receive files from the international non-profit membership association. Our association has its own Dropbox account with only the president access. I want to add the secretary to the association DB account to receive files from the international association and not to her personal DB account.  We currently have the Basic plan that does not allow a 2nd email address. So I am considering the Plus plan as we really don't need all the fluff of the other plans nor the fluff of the Plus plan. 
When I see the comparison chart the Plus plan states only one user. Doesn't mention anything about a secondary email. Does that mean the secretary, as the secondary email, can not receive files? What would be the purpose of a secondary (or more) email? I do not want to share files that go into her personal DB.

I am really having a hard time finding answers to simple questions on the DB site and this process is sooooo time/effort consuming.

Thanks for reading my rant!

Frances

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: User vs secondary email. Plus plan states 1 user but it can have a secondary email. What is t...

Daphne
Dropboxer

If it's just to create and set up the new Dropbox account, you can do this through the website on any device @AWHCPE.

You can then just pass along the credentials to them, and they can reset the password if they want to.

Hope that helps!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Re: User vs secondary email. Plus plan states 1 user but it can have a secondary email. What is t...

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hi there @AWHCPE, thanks for dropping by.

Generally, each Dropbox account is associated with one primary email address and can only receive content if that email is used. 

If you're on a paid subscription, you can add a secondary email to your Dropbox account. 

That way, if someone adds you to a file using your secondary email address, you can still save it to your Dropbox account. 

This doesn't mean that you can associate your account with someone else's though. 

Has the other user by any chance set up a Dropbox account of their own using a professional email address?

Give me a nudge when you have the chance to check this out. Cheers!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

AWHCPE
Explorer | Level 4

Thank you Lusil for helping me learn Dropbox.

I understand your comments to say that no two persons can use the same DB in the Basic and Plus plans. The Plus plan secondary address has to be the primary's address also. Bummer!  The other plans are too costly for our needs and, as I said, offer so much more than we would use. 

The other user I want access to our DB has her own personal DB that is receiving our confidential files that should not be in an individual's DB. Were you suggesting if she added a second DB using our professional e-address she would then have access to our files? Then the Basic (Plus, for more space) would work for us. 

Here's a thought: both e-addresses would be @electrologyCO.org, the owner of DB. The only difference in the e-address would be her last name and title@. The access e-address would change with the new incoming officer. Does that make a difference? Would this mean only one DB for our association, instead of two? Can an association have two DB?

Thanks again for your assistance.

Frances

Lusil
Dropboxer

Remember that even if the domain is the same, it would be considered a separate email if the title is different.

What I was thinking was to ask them to create a new Dropbox account using a professional work email address. 

That way, you can send them confidential files to an account that's not their personal one.

Would that be an option for you?

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

AWHCPE
Explorer | Level 4

I think we are saying the same thing! 

So she would (or probably me because she may not have time or knowledge) open a DB account using her specific association e-address. Thus having two DB  (which will confuse heras I have two. Our association files will be sent to her e-address.

I will ask her to do this. Oh, but she must do this on her computer, right? or can I do it from my pc?

Sorry for all this back and forth. I really do appreciate your knowledge.

Daphne
Dropboxer

If it's just to create and set up the new Dropbox account, you can do this through the website on any device @AWHCPE.

You can then just pass along the credentials to them, and they can reset the password if they want to.

Hope that helps!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

View solution in original post

AWHCPE
Explorer | Level 4

Thank you Team DB!  You have eased my concerns for confidentiality and our office using DB.

Enjoy life and stay well,

Frances

Daphne
Dropboxer

Glad that we could be of help with this @AWHCPE!

We'll be just a post away if you need anything else. 😁

Hope you have a great week ahead - stay safe Frances!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

AWHCPE
Explorer | Level 4

Thank you! This works for us.

It has taken me over 9 emails and weeks to find the answer to my simple question.

Enjoy life and stay well,

Frances

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

AWHCPE Explorer | Level 4
    Daphne Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?