Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Using Dropbox as your only file system

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Does anybody do this?

I'm asking because I have an rMacBook Pro and an iPad Pro. I've been using Dropbox since 2008 across multiple computers and OS. I've never had an issue.

I don't have many files: no music and all photos are going through Apple Photos and iCloud in any case. While Apple Notes is increasingly my main database and that's also automatically taken care of via iCloud.

Takes Photos out the equation, and all my files total about 15 GB -- I work mainly with text.

I realise Dropbox is not *backup* even though a lot of us use it as such.

By way of extra piece of mind I do the following:

I have a folder for version control of my only really important folder on the actual computer in Documents rather than Dropbox, such that it's not syncing, and such that I couldn't inadvertently sync a mistake and not realise.

I have Time Machine too, which is also backing up the Dropbox folder

And I'm probably going to pay for Dropbox's Extended Version Control

So I meet the criteria of: 1. Folder on computer 2. Folder remote. 3. Folder on external drive. 4. Version control.

Anyone do this successfully or similar?

Any potential problems anyone can see?

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Re: Using Dropbox as your only file system

Experienced Collaborator | Level 11

Dropbox isn't a network drive and has no facility to enable its use as one.

This is unlikely to change.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Thanks for the reply.

But that doesn't really bother me so much. I don't need a network drive.

It's more a case of simply keeping everything in Dropbox (with the backup solutions I mentioned in the original post).

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

It's more a case of simply keeping everything in Dropbox

That's what Dropbox was designed for. I keep all of the files that I work on directly in Dropbox. Approximately 40GB of those files are PSDs that I edit and save directly in the Dropbox folder. They're synced automatically as I save my changes. I don't even have to think about it.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

That's reassuring.

Though I was under the impression that Dropbox was more for *sync* than storage per se. Moreover, I didn't just want to keep the files I 'work on' in there. I want to keep everything. It's convenient to do so. 

My chief concerns with storing everything in Dropbox was:

1. Reliability and risk of lost data -- this doesn't seem to be problem. But my concern is that if Backblaze screws up my backup the file on my computer is unaffected. In contrast, if Dropbox screws up a sync the file on my computer and on Dropbox have both been screwed up.

2. The fact that it's syncing rather than backing up, such that if a file is corrupted, and that corruption is synced, and I don't spot this for over a year, then effectively the stored file is corrupted. I word on very long-term projects so time-spans of over year before a file is worked on again are the norm.

3. Are we being overly cautious/paranoid about our back up in the sense that we want so many backups in so many different places/forms?

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

Though I was under the impression that Dropbox was more for *sync* than storage per se. 

It is for syncing, and that's what I'm using it for. I work on the files in my local Dropbox folder and the changes are synced real-time to all my connected computers. It means I can work on the same files anywhere. I start working on a new PSD at work, save it, and when I get home I can open the same file from the local folder and pick up where I left off.

1) It's not a problem at all, in my experience.

2) That's why we keep backups, which you seem to have a handle on already.

3) First rule of backups... You can never have enough. Again, you have a handle on this, but I'll leave this here for anyone else that comes across this post.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?