cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We got locked out of our account and we need help urgently

Highlighted

We got locked out of our account and we need help urgently

New member | Level 2
Hi

We have an issue with an account. My colleague asked me to upload a file to his dropbox, he gave me his password for his account. At the same time, my other colleagues from another instituition gave me access to some of their folders on their own account and they sent me a link for that. This was something totally different and I was supposed to login with my own account. Unintentionally, I was logged in to my friend's account (I did not reazlie it, it was a mistake), when I clicked on the link to have access to that box. Therefore, instead of me, my friend got access to all those shared folder by mistake. I realized quickly and asked other people to undo what they did and remove the access for those for my friends's account and send me another link, which they did. But the problem is here, since then, and once that happened, we are not able to access the the first account. We tried changing the password and it does not allow us to change the password. Now we are locked out. The locked account owner cannot access to dropbox support team, since he cannot log in to his account. What is the solution?
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Urgent

Super User II

@asmank wrote:

I followed what you mentioned but there is not any restored option. 

You can't do it. The team admin of the business account needs to.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9
Highlighted

Super User II

It sounds like you accepted an invitation to join a Business team. When you do this, your account (or your colleague's, in this case) is merged into the Business account. Essentially, the account you had no longer exists and belongs to the business now. When a member of a Business team is removed, the account is deleted. Instead, the account needs to be converted back to an individual account. First, however, because the business removed the account, they'll need to restore it first, then convert it. They only have seven days to restore a deleted team member. Send the team admin the following help articles:

I would also strongly suggest that account passwords are NOT shared, even among friends or colleagues. It's a very dangerous practice. Security issues aside, mistakes can be made, much like you're seeing here.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

And when the account restored,  all the files and information will show up again? 

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

Highlighted

Super User II

@asmank wrote:

You can't do it. The team admin of the business account needs to.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

Unfortunately the issue was that when the account was mistakenly added and then deleted from our account the Dropbox set format is to transfer files without our explicitly asking it to do so.  The link we were sent on restoring a member did not give accurate instructions and there is no such option on our end. We do not have the ability to access your account, either. If it is locked out, and my professor having no success in resetting Dropbox password to gain access, so please please help. This is very urgent. All Students material included in this dropbox. 

Highlighted

No Access available to restore account or convert to individual account

New member | Level 2

Unfortunately the issue was that when the account was mistakenly added and then deleted from our account the Dropbox set format is to transfer files without our explicitly asking it to do so.  The link we were sent on restoring a member did not give accurate instructions and there is no such option on our end. We do not have the ability to access our friend's account, either. If it is locked out, and my colluege having no success in resetting Dropbox password to gain access, so please please help. This is very urgent. All Students material included in this dropbox. 

Highlighted

Re: No Access available to restore account or convert to individual account

Super User II

@asmank wrote:

The link we were sent on restoring a member did not give accurate instructions and there is no such option on our end.

The instructions are accurate, and as stated previously, you can't do it. Only the team admin of the business account that you were merged into will be able to restore a deleted account, and then convert it to an individual account.

The options only exist within the business account admin console. You will not be able to do it on your end. You need to contact the team admin of the business account.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

Could you please kindly show it through an image step by step what they should follow. It seems the admin are not abale to find the approprate option. 

Highlighted

Super User II

@asmank wrote:

Could you please kindly show it through an image step by step what they should follow.

I cannot, as I don't have a Business account to take screenshots in.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?