cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does the new limit to three devices include?

What does the new limit to three devices include?

MarcusMueller
Explorer | Level 3

Hello, since March 2019 free Dropbox accounts are limited to three devices. Does that include the number of smartphones using the Dropbox App with this account or only desktop / laptop computers that sync all files? Regards, Marcus

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Does the new limit to three devices include mobile app without complete sync?

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi Marcus, the 3 device limit includes any connected device, including desktops installations and mobile apps on smartphones or computers.

Hope this helps to clarify matters.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

20 Replies 20

March 2019 Device Limit vs Shared access

LLV12
New member | Level 2

I'm trying to understand what impact the new "device limit" will have on sharing.  I have a free personal account, I'm ok with limiting to 1-2 of my "own" devices.  But I have several folders that I share access to with a variety of colleagues (5-30 colleagues per folder). Does this device limit mean that shared access is likewise limited to the total "3 devices" accessing at a time?  

Re: March 2019 Device Limit vs Shared access

gregoc
Experienced Collaborator | Level 13
Device limits do not affect your shared folders at all. Device limits are only the number of devices you are linked to (logged into) and are syncing (computers, smartphones, tablets, etc.). Does that help?

LLV12
New member | Level 2

That does, thanks.  To confirm: So others who are "sharing" my files likewise are limited to 3 devices, but I can still have 30 people accessing a file? 

Rich
Super User II

@LLV12 wrote:

To confirm: So others who are "sharing" my files likewise are limited to 3 devices, but I can still have 30 people accessing a file? 

Correct. The limit only refers to devices linked to your account.

gregoc
Experienced Collaborator | Level 13
Yes, that is correct. And to clarify, only Dropbox Basic (non-paid) users are limited. If someone has a Dropbox Plus, Professional, or Business, they are not limited.

Re: Does the new limit to three devices include mobile app without complete sync?

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi Marcus, the 3 device limit includes any connected device, including desktops installations and mobile apps on smartphones or computers.

Hope this helps to clarify matters.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

MarcusMueller
Explorer | Level 3

Hello Jay,

thank you for the quick answer! 🙂

That means: if I have 3 PCs connected I can't access my Dropbox with the Android app on a new phone (that was not connected before the new limit)? Will it deny login or can I just not sync photos?

Regards,

Marcus

Jay
Dropboxer
The former would be true, you wouldn’t be able to login to your account on a mobile device, similar to the error message you got on your new laptop.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Mickp10
New member | Level 2

I am moving to to the free Microsoft OneDrive service due to the 3 device limit.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

SimonH Helpful | Level 5
    Jane Dropboxer
    karel505 New member | Level 2
    David S.28 New member | Level 2
    depvp New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?