cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

What's the best way to move files from one account to another?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I need to move files from a professional account into a new business acount, created by others that I share. what is the best way? I have tried to download the pro folders to then upload, but I am not able to download heavy folders, I get error messages. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: download and accounts

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @marina c, I'd be happy to help out!

There's 2 methods I can suggest here.

The first would be to just share the folder from one account to another with these steps.

Once you've shared the folder, you can transfer ownership to the new account, and from the new account you can then unshare the folder.

Alternatively, you can download the desktop app and connect your professional account which will download your files. Once the app is "Up to date", you can then unlink your account from the app.

You can then either upload the files to the business account via the website, or connect your business account to the desktop app and move the previously downloaded files to the new Dropbox folder.

I hope this helps, let me know if your have any questions about this!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @marina c, I'd be happy to help out!

There's 2 methods I can suggest here.

The first would be to just share the folder from one account to another with these steps.

Once you've shared the folder, you can transfer ownership to the new account, and from the new account you can then unshare the folder.

Alternatively, you can download the desktop app and connect your professional account which will download your files. Once the app is "Up to date", you can then unlink your account from the app.

You can then either upload the files to the business account via the website, or connect your business account to the desktop app and move the previously downloaded files to the new Dropbox folder.

I hope this helps, let me know if your have any questions about this!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

@marina c wrote:

I need to move files from a professional account into a new business acount, created by others that I share. what is the best way?

Share a folder between the two accounts and move the files into the shared folder using the Dropbox website. Once the files have been moved, go to the Business account and move them out of the shared folder to wherever they need to be.

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?