cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where's my space gone?

Highlighted

Where's my space gone?

Explorer | Level 3

Hi

Woke today to an email saying my Dropbox is full and shows I have only 2.2Gb but I had more than that. What happened to the additional I earned via referrals etc?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Where's my space gone?

Super User II

@Turtle55 wrote:

My guess is that dropbox wants more money and is getting rid of these promos to get customers to sign up for paid service.

That's not even remotely true.

Not all space earned thorugh promotions is permanent. Bonus space earned through items like referrals and completing the Getting Started steps is permanent, but space earned through device promotions (mobile devices, laptops, etc.) and partnerships like Quicken, is time-limited and will expire after some time, often six months, or one or two years, depending on the promotion.

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14
Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

I too have had the same problem. I had about 4 coupon codes that I received for various things. One big one 15 GB was from signing up for Quicken membership. I had a total 30 GB of space and it is all wiped out. What happened? My guess is that dropbox wants more money and is getting rid of these promos to get customers to sign up for paid service. This really sucks. I remember they used to allow you to have unlimited devices. Now they have restricted it to 3 devices. Which also sucks. They got everyone hooked on their product and then started taking away benefits to get people to pay outrageous prices per month or year. Sorry not happy about this. I am sure I will hear some kind of excuse that we have discontinued this serivce becaue it costs us a lot of money to run the servers. I like Box better because they offer you 10GB right away not the tiny 1 or 2 GB that dropbox does. The problem is dropbox was first to market so they have a lead and are the go to cloud storage with tons of integrations with apps. I am sad. I used to like dropbox. But, not so much anymore. If there is a better service let me know. I would be intersted.

Highlighted

Super User II

@Turtle55 wrote:

My guess is that dropbox wants more money and is getting rid of these promos to get customers to sign up for paid service.

That's not even remotely true.

Not all space earned thorugh promotions is permanent. Bonus space earned through items like referrals and completing the Getting Started steps is permanent, but space earned through device promotions (mobile devices, laptops, etc.) and partnerships like Quicken, is time-limited and will expire after some time, often six months, or one or two years, depending on the promotion.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

They should have the decency to let you know in the promotion. Because I was thinking that once I had that space it was mine forever.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

This has not been solved in my book. Give me someone official from DropBox not some John Doe who has answered a bunch of questions and is the general of answers. Not official in my opinion. I have yet to hear from DropBox. Which there customer service really sucks due to the fact they only give people a stupid bot that doesn't work well (not human) and the "Community." Give me a real person who is high up in the company making these ridiculous decisions about promo codes that had no expiration date when I signed up. If they had I would have read it. This is something that happned after the fact with expiration dates of 6 months to 2 years. Like I said I believed once you got the space it was yours to keep.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

To prove my point further. Here is a screenshot of the original offer from amazon.com for 20 GB of free storage for Dropbox with nothing that states that it expires. It took me a lot of digging this up but here it is. https://share.getcloudapp.com/mXuAwe6m

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Give Graham Sawyer and I our space back. And for that matter anyone else who purchased a product that offered free Dropbox space with not expiration date at the time of purchase. I dare you to do the right thing Dropbox head honchos! Give our space back and quit making me delete my things that I shouldn't have to due to you indiscriminately taking space away.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hey everyone, thanks for reaching out to us on the Dropbox Community. 

You can find more information about how much space you received from a promotion or when it's due to expire from your Plan tab

However, if you find that you should have had the additional space for a longer time period, I'd recommend getting in touch with Quicken regarding this matter. 

If you reach a dead-end, don't hesitate to get back to me here and I'd be more than happy to send you a ticket to have a better look into this with you. 

Keep me posted!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Finally, someone from Dropbox answered. It only took 5 days. But, better late then never. Lusil, I just had a chat with Quicken and they said that once the code is issued by them and accepted from Dropbox then they don't have anything else they can do on their end. I have a transcript of the conversation that I just had. So I do need you to do some further research as to why this happened to my account. So I will need a ticket so you can have a better look. Quicken said they have never had a customer suddenly lose space like what has happened to me. I look forward to your reply.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Thanks for your swift reply, @Turtle55!

I'd be more than happy to send you a ticket, but before we do, could you send me a screenshot of what the Plan tab shows in regards to the promotional space? 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?