Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who is the owner of a Basic account?

EsterMay New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I have opened an account Dropbox basic using my job mail as username. Now I changed my job. Can I change the user mail into my personal one? My ex employer says the account belong to him, while I consider it mine. Who belong the account? The mail owner or the password owner? Thank you very much for your support

2 Replies 2

Re: Dropbox basic account property

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @EsterMay, I hope you're having a good day so far!

In terms of account ownership, the owner of the email address would be seen as the owner of the Dropbox account it's associated.

If you need to change the email on the account, you can do so with these steps.

I'd also recommend changing the password on your account if someone else also has access to the account.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Re: Dropbox basic account property

Super User II
Super User II

I'd think twice about changing the email address on the account without first discussing it in detail with your fomer employer. If the owner of the account is considered the email owner, which has always been the case, then you changing the email address without their permission could be seen as theft, since any data within the account is likely their intellectual property. Also, just accessing the account when you aren't the owner (and no longer employeed by the owner) could get you in trouble.

Best to discuss it with them rationally and try to come to an understanding.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?