Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Why I have more space used online than on my computer?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi guys!

I put 2 screenshots to help present my case. Basically, Dropbox says I have 300 mb of stuff on my computer but online it says 990 mb. It means that there is 600 mb that are I don't know what?

I've browsed the forum and these are not shared files... anyone has any insight? Thanks!

Capture d’écran (2).pngCapture d’écran (3).png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Why I have more space used online than on my computer?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey again @Yann4,

I did a little digging here for you and this was a known issue on Windows 10 1803 and 1809 as mentioned here. Are you perhaps running either of these OS versions? Are you able to see the same issue in other (not Dropbox related) folders on your device? You can check this by looking at a folder’s size on your computer then checking the size of some of the content within to see if the sizes match.

Also, if you’d like to free up some space in your Dropbox account then you can go ahead with moving/deleting data out of the Dropbox folder on your desktop or simply deleting the data online.

Hope this helps - Cheers!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey there @Yann4,

Can you check to see if you have any folders selectively synced perhaps? You can check this from the desktop app preferences, the steps are below if you’re not familiar with this:

1. Click the Dropbox icon in your system tray.
  2. Click the gear icon in the top right and choose Preferences…
  3. Go to the Sync tab.
  4. Click the option Selective sync… and ensure all folders are checked.

If all the folders are checked, can you check your account for files/folder containing bad characters with the link here and change any characters that the search finds. Certain characters can’t be synced to specific devices due to restrictions of the operating system. 

Let me know what you find - Cheers!

Daphne

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi Daphne,

Thanks for the answer. Unfortunately it didn't solve the problem. I have the exact same folders and files on my computer than online. 

To be more precise, I need to make space on my Dropbox, it is not necessarly a sync problem I think. Maybe I should delete everything and put everything back online. 

Maybe you have other ideas, thanks!

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey again @Yann4,

I did a little digging here for you and this was a known issue on Windows 10 1803 and 1809 as mentioned here. Are you perhaps running either of these OS versions? Are you able to see the same issue in other (not Dropbox related) folders on your device? You can check this by looking at a folder’s size on your computer then checking the size of some of the content within to see if the sizes match.

Also, if you’d like to free up some space in your Dropbox account then you can go ahead with moving/deleting data out of the Dropbox folder on your desktop or simply deleting the data online.

Hope this helps - Cheers!

Daphne

View solution in original post

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Yup! Aparently you are correct. It is a known Windows bug and I've used the first solution they proposed on that website you linked. It suggest to download a small program Treesize that is accurate on folder size. 

Thanks for the help!

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
I’m glad to hear we got to the bottom of that @Yann4!

I appreciate you following up with your solution, I’m sure this will be useful to others who might have the same issue. 

Have a great day ahead - Thanks!

Daphne

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?