Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Why am I not getting my free space after I get new Dropbox customers from referrals?

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Anyone else not getting free space after adding customers from referal? That's  false advertising. And illegal. They expect others to follow their rules but can't follow their own? 

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: why am I not getting my feee space after I get new dropbox customers from referals?

Super User alumni
Super User alumni

The people you are inviting have to install Dropbox onto a computer, a mobile device (including tablets) does not count toward fulfilling the steps required to count as a referral.

You can earn a maximum of 16GB for basic accounts, 32GB for Pro accounts.

You can check the status of referrals by following the instructions at https://www.dropbox.com/help/55

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Re: why am I not getting my feee space after I get new dropbox customers from referals?

Super User II
Super User II

I click top left dropboc logo and then my screen freezes. 

When you log in to your account on the website, you don't click the Dropbox logo. Click your name in the upper right corner of the screen, then click on Settings.

To check the status of your referrals:

1. Sign in to the Dropbox website.
  2. Click your name in the top-right corner.
  3. Click Settings from the account menu.
  4. Click View all space earned under the Earn more space section.
  5. For any space bonuses listed as Referral under Bonus type, you'll see referral status under the Space earned column.

If that doesn't work, try another browser, or contact Support.

11 Replies 11
Highlighted

Super User alumni
Super User alumni

The people you are inviting have to install Dropbox onto a computer, a mobile device (including tablets) does not count toward fulfilling the steps required to count as a referral.

You can earn a maximum of 16GB for basic accounts, 32GB for Pro accounts.

You can check the status of referrals by following the instructions at https://www.dropbox.com/help/55

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

They did install app and are actively using Dropbox yet it still says my space is full. 

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

Did you check the status of your referrals as Richard suggested? What does it say next to each one? Have the other people checked theirs as well.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

In app there's nowhere to check referrals and on main site it freezes. I click top left dropboc logo and then my screen freezes. There aren't any settings to check referrals I can get to

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

I click top left dropboc logo and then my screen freezes. 

When you log in to your account on the website, you don't click the Dropbox logo. Click your name in the upper right corner of the screen, then click on Settings.

To check the status of your referrals:

1. Sign in to the Dropbox website.
  2. Click your name in the top-right corner.
  3. Click Settings from the account menu.
  4. Click View all space earned under the Earn more space section.
  5. For any space bonuses listed as Referral under Bonus type, you'll see referral status under the Space earned column.

If that doesn't work, try another browser, or contact Support.

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

They did install app and are actively using Dropbox yet it still says my space is full. 

You've not said though if this is on a 'unique' computer. Remember as Richard said mobiles/tablets and installations via App Stores do not count.

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Oh wow all that work to get people who use it on phones and only computers count?! Seriously?! They can't explain this at beginning? Waste of my time. What's the difference?; oh that's right, they'd have to give me free space they don't want to so make it a computer because no one uses it hardly with computers so less space given but still get all those new customers! Very deceptive I'll be going to a new cloud for space after this bs

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I should have everyone delete app now and go to a new cloud along with me after the false advertising bs. Sprint does same thing. Full of deceptive lies to get new customers but don't reward the customers out there getting them new customers although they say they'll give you credits. 

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

Its clearly explained on every help topic about it Brandon. Unfortunately not really anybody's fault if you've not read that. 

Also, remember what Dropbox is designed to do - sync folders (on a computer) as a replacement for USBs. Hence the promo. 

As an aside the referral will sit there until/if somebody decides to put it on their laptops etc. at which point they and you will get the bonus space. Remember though, it needs to be a unique device so you cant all just use 1 machine and log in / out on it 

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?