cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't I get a refund from Google Play?

Highlighted

Why can't I get a refund from Google Play?

New member | Level 2

Just curious if anyone has had any issues with Dropbox support for mobile accts set up via Google Play.

Spent two hours on half a dozen different support chats this morning, only to be advised the Dropbox will not assist with any billing issues that result from their mobile app purchased thru Google Play.

Have been billed for several months on a duplicate account that I was unaware existed - until I began receiving notifications that my Dropbox was almost full.  Was finally able to chase down the issue and wanted to merge the two accounts, keeping my original acct and deleting the duplicate. 

Dropbox support refused to help me with this migration, insisting any refunds were due from Google Play and that I needed to pay an upgrade fee on my original account.

Beyond disgusted that such a good service is given a horrible black eye by such apathetic customer service.  I would cancel in a heartbeat if I did not share files with several of my colleagues via Dropbox.

ANGRY IN ALBUQUERQUE!

2 Replies 2
Highlighted

Re: Why can't I get a refund from Google Play?

Super User II

Unfortunately, Support was correct. Dropbox doesn't have access to your billing information if you've subscribed through a mobile app store. Only the company that runs the store (Apple, Google, etc.) will be able to help you with any possible refund.

Highlighted

Re: Why can't I get a refund from Google Play?

New member | Level 2

I'll grant you that, Rich.  However, they do have visibility when provided the transaction ID, which I did.  They indeed located the duplicate account and monthly payments, and it was only then that the conversation shifted gears and I was instructed to contact Google Play for a refund.

I advised the rep I did not desire a refund, simply a resolution to merging these duplicate accounts (which I was completely unaware of) and then setting up the monthly payment on my original Dropbox acct.  When I canceled the duplicate account On Google Play I was advised there would be no refund.

I'm simply asserting that this blame shifting is, at best, pathetic customer service and in my opinion downright unethical.  I'm a customer of Dropbox, where all my files are stored, and it is irrelevant that the duplcate was created on my mobile.  I am quite confident that the entirity of my 18 months of payments ($200) did not end up in Google's coffers!

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?