cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why have I run out of quota with a shared folder?

Why have I run out of quota with a shared folder?

SysProg
Explorer | Level 4

I work with my local Police Department and they have a Dropbox account (not sure which type) for the team (about 25 of us) to use and share.  Last year the Deputy Chief upgraded the account from 2GB to 2TB and he notified us today thaton 8% is beinng used.  As far as I know, I do not have a personal Dropbox account.

Just about every time I access Dropbox, I get a Windows 10 notification that I have exceeded the 2GB limit and that syncing has been disabled.  Each of my teammates receive this same notifcation.

How do I/we resolve this?  We simply need to use the Dropbox the PD set up for us.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Why have I run out of quota with a shared folder?

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @SysProg, thanks for posting on the Community!

Are you a member of a Dropbox Business team, or were you added to a shared folder? By the amount of quota you're referring to, it sounds like they upgraded their account to a Dropbox Plus plan, which is for personal users, so you might be added to a shared folder.

Shared folders don't allow you to share the quota from that account, so they instead take up quota on your account. In order to be able to sync files, your account would need to have enough quota to add the folder. 

If you need any more details, feel free to message back!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @SysProg, thanks for posting on the Community!

Are you a member of a Dropbox Business team, or were you added to a shared folder? By the amount of quota you're referring to, it sounds like they upgraded their account to a Dropbox Plus plan, which is for personal users, so you might be added to a shared folder.

Shared folders don't allow you to share the quota from that account, so they instead take up quota on your account. In order to be able to sync files, your account would need to have enough quota to add the folder. 

If you need any more details, feel free to message back!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

SysProg
Explorer | Level 4

Jay,

Thank you.  The account is a Dropbox Plus plan.  I'll see if the PD will convert it to a Business Plan.  They may not if the cost increase is considerable.

Harley

Ayrat
New member | Level 2

> so they instead take up quota on your account

... what do they take up my quota? These are not my files. Ridiculous!

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

@Ayrat wrote:
... what do they take up my quota? These are not my files. Ridiculous!

I fully agree. It's much more expensive all parties sharing the same things to by for same space (all to pay for Plus or the same price for cheapest Business team). Multiple pay for the same thing.

Fortunately, there are many other competitors without restriction on share (i.e. shared content is count to the owner's quota only). So, for particular space only single pay would be need. Take a look around and choose that what best match your needs! 😉

Hope this gives useful idea.

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @Ayrat, as every member of a shared folder can add to and modify the contents, the shared folder counts toward storage quotas in each member's account.

This policy exists to prevent people from giving themselves unlimited storage space by stacking accounts and shared folders.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Здравко
 @Jay wrote:
This policy exists to prevent people from giving themselves unlimited storage space by stacking accounts and shared folders.

Hi @Jay,

Are you sure?! Yes, I agree - free accounts can stack their content etc. etc... That's why there is reason shared space of such account be counted to recipient space too (both for free or paid recipient's account). This space is free.

BUT! What about the space shared from a paid account?! It is NOT free, it's paid! 🤷 Is there some risk such accounts to be stacked for both free or paid recipient's account???!!!! 👆 In all cases the space gets paid! And when shared between paid accounts, the shared space becomes multiple paid. 😵

Is this correct?! 🤔 I don't think so.

Mark
Super User II

@Здравко thats always been the reason given BUT also that it costs Dropbox to process data (i.e. every connection to the data centre, every upload, every download etc. has a monetary cost). So they need to restrict and limit those in some way.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Здравко

@Mark, Just a recall: How many plans has connection limitations?! 🤔 Especially from the paid set of accounts! 🧐

Again I gonna repeat a question: Is a space shared from paid account paid space or not?

Take a look on your post just above! How your reply looks on context of the recall and question, just mentioned? 🤷

I already mentioned a correct way to restrict the lost (strong enough) and in same time a honestly applied restriction (paid space - one time paid, not multiple paid).

Poll
Which Dropbox integrations are you using while working from home?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?