cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is Dropbox charging Irish VAT to UK customers?

Why is Dropbox charging Irish VAT to UK customers?

Richard T.21
Helpful | Level 5

The UK left the EU to all intents and purposes on 1 January 2021.

Businesses providing digital services to Britain from outside Britain are obliged to register for British VAT from that date and their invoices should show a British VAT number: "If you’re selling digital services from the EU to the UK you will need to register and account for VAT." from paragraph 2.5 on https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/accounting-for-vat-on-goods-moving-between-great-britain-...

A search shows that Irish VAT is not applicable to supplies such as these outside the EU, because the place of supply is considered to be where the service is used (not supplied).  British VAT is probably applicable, in which cases a British VAT number should be quoted on Dropbox invoices.

Dropbox should supply a VAT invoice with a British VAT number on it. The Irish VAT invoice is incorrect. This would mean that the VAT is payable to the British government (and reclaimable if the customer is VAT registered in Britain).

Please can anyone explain why Dropbox invoices charge Irish VAT?

Many thanks.

12 Replies 12

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Hi @Richard T.21, let's see what we can find together! 

Since this would require some account specific info, do you mind if I reach out to your Community email? 

I'd be happy to have a look into this with you, and see how we can go on about it. 

Keep me posted.

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Richard T.21
Helpful | Level 5

Thank you for your reply.

I don't think this has much to do with account specifics at all - it's pretty general - but if you want to reach out to me, please feel free.  Please could you confirm whether or not you work for Dropbox for me?

Just for clarity: I am in the UK (England, in fact - the address Dropbox has on file says that, too). Dropbox invoices come from an Irish-based company (Dropbox International Unlimited Company) at a Dublin address, charge VAT, and have an Irish VAT number on them (and not a British one). You have charged in GBP.

Do you generally charge Irish VAT to British customers, and provide invoices to British customers with Irish VAT numbers on them? If you can answer that particular question for me, I can decide how to take the matter further with you.  To me, it looks like Dropbox is not correctly operating VAT (per UK VAT regulations, and based primarily on an invoice Dropbox raised in the last few days), but I am happy to be proved wrong.

Mark
Super User II

Part of this is a large VAT issue that the whole EU put in (the UK did it before the EU). Part of this legislation was to start charging VAT dependent upon where you buy - so things like Alibaba now do the same when you buy.

See https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/tax/duties_and_vat/value_added_tax.html. for some more info. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Richard T.21
Helpful | Level 5

Dropbox is providing digital services. The rules are simple both in the EU and in the UK.  If you supply from outside the country to another country, and you are within the rules for VAT registration (threshold limits apply), then you should be charging the VAT rate and account for it within the country receiving the digital services. Irish VAT should not be charged. British VAT should (providing that Dropbox have hit the registration threshold and have therefore registered for British VAT).

Dropbox don't seem to be doing this.  Why?

tmax100
Explorer | Level 4

Was there ever an answer to this question - did it ever get resolved?

I notice they are still charging VAT on exported services to the UK

Or is it because the service is deemed to take place in Ireland ?

Mark
Super User II

@tmax100 wrote:

Or is it because the service is deemed to take place in Ireland ?

Pretty much yes 🙂

I'm charged VAT now for most services and products I buy online regardless of where they are based. VAT laws have started catching up with e-commerce. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

tmax100
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Mark thanks for reply

When you say e-commerce is catching up, do you mean we are right that EU VAT should not be charged on services to end users outside the EU

I run a business where we export and import goods - Before Brexit my French End Users would pay UK VAT on our products, but French BUSINESSES would give me their French VAT Number which allowed us to Zero VAT (Intra EU VAT Rate 0%) - They would of course charge French VAT to their end users.

Since Brexit their is no VAT on any of our exports - The 'Z' Zero Rate is applied

I suspect Dropbox are collecting VAT from us, then their internal accounting system is applying Zero export VAT therefore not handing it over to the Irish VAT authorities - I could be wrong of course 🙂

I 'X'ed (Twittered) Dropbox yesterday, and they referred me to the email chain - I'll post back here if I get anywhere - Probably won't

Twinkle2
New member | Level 2

I have the same issue, and twice I have queried why Dublin (EU) VAT was being charged to me in UK. This year I got an obscure reply, which included:

'Certain non-profit or educational institutions can receive tax exemptions on rgw Dropbox team and Professional subscriptions. However, we're unable to offer tax exemptions for Dropbox Plus subscriptions at this time.

Please note that our Plus subscription is a product for personal use rather than a business product, we are obliged to charge tax on it in certain jurisdictions. We are also unable to exclude this from your payment.

You may be able to use the invoice found in your account to claim tax back from your tax authority but unfortunately we can’t exempt your account from tax or refund the tax paid.

Dropbox Plus invoices are created in such a way that we cannot adjust the billing information displayed.'

Our accounts team flagged this when it first happened, and because the VAT amount is £16.53 it does not warrant hours of our time dealing with Dropbox 'support', which seems impenetrable. Other US Dublin-based software and IT companies, for example Adobe, issue correct 'tax exempt' invoices to UK clients. If there is a loophole we are missing, and their invoicing is correct, then I would be grateful if this can be explained to those of us in UK who are staring at our screens, unable to locate their GB VAT number.

1aurabrown
New member | Level 2

It is not up to Dropbox to decide whether a plus account is used for business or personal purposes, thus it is not up to them to decide whether or not to charge VAT. Is there a regulator in Ireland or EU-wide to whom this can be reported?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Richard T.21 Helpful | Level 5
    1aurabrown New member | Level 2
    Twinkle2 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?