cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Why is gifting not available to a US territory???

Why is gifting not available to a US territory???

Athena R.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

My boss just sent me a "Gift" of one year service for Dropbox so that I can manage some time-sensitive tasks which are due today. The free version is preventing me from accessing the shared folder because it says I will run out of room (no, not that I AM out of room) and I am unable to accept the gifted additional storage from my boss because Dropbox is unaware that Puerto Rico is not a country. Puerto Rico is a U.S. territory. What gives? How can this situation be resolved. I suspect it will not be timely but, at least, a resolution would be appreciated despite the lack of appreciation the Dropbox company is showing to paying clients.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Athena R.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Calvin is super helpful and created a work around while I wait for the real fix. So appreciated.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Trinity C.1
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

A shared folder counts against the space in each member's account.

Dropbox uses space on your hard drive and so there must be enough room THERE as well.

The gift is for a Pro Account and the storage is in there; in other words the gift is not of additional storage to your free account.

Since you're in a hurry, one-possible-solution is for you to https://www.dropbox.com/help/429

Athena R.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi Trinity, Thank you for taking the time to reply. I was very annoyed at not being able to complete my work yesterday and I may not have been clear as to what the problem is. My boss purchased Dropbox Pro "gift" for me but the company (Dropbox) is not allowing me to accept the gift because I live in Puerto Rico...which is a territory of the United States. They claim I am in a different country (???) and that I am not allowed to accept the Dropbox Pro gifted to me by my boss.

I can't use the free version because there is not enough space to join the shared folder I need to access and when trying to receive Dropbox Pro, the company (Dropbox) will not allow me to do so.

Athena R.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

More than a month later and support has never even bothered to contact me. They probably just closed the ticket without even notifying me. What service.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

More than a month later and support has never even bothered to contact me.

Did you contact them? This is primarily a user-supported forum and we are not able to assist with billing or account related matters. If you need a response from Dropbox then you need to open a ticket.

Open your ticket here: https://www.dropbox.com/support
Track your ticket here: https://dropbox.zendesk.com

Replies take approximately 1 - 3 business days with Pro users getting priority (longer for Basic users).

Athena R.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi Rich. I opened a ticket before this original post. I checked the status of the ticket and Dropbox closed the ticket without contacting me. I just reopened and asked how the ticket could be closed when no one made any contact with me.

I do appreciate the links you provided. That was very kind and thoughtful. I guess I'll just have to continue waiting to see if Dropbox feels like replying. I don't imagine their support has improved within the last month.

Have a wonderful day!

Wyatt G.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi all,

A quick heads up that we've now extended support for gifting to a number of US Commonwealths and Territories, including:

American Samoa
Guam
Northern Mariana Islands
Puerto Rico
U.S. Minor Outlying Islands
U.S. Virgin Islands

Athena R.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

This issue is not fixed. I submitted a ticket 9 days ago (see details below). Dropbox downgraded my account despite my waiting patiently for them to resolve this issue and now I haven't been able to complete my work tasks for two days. I contacted support again yesterday and not a word in reply from them. I could, kinda, understand such terrible support if it were a free service but not only was "Pro" paid for but a purchase of a years service was made. Is anyone else getting such terrible support or is this snubbing just reserved for Puerto Rico?

=============================================

#4297364 DB: Gifting not available Sorry! Gifting isn’t available in your country yet. Sign up for notifications, and we’ll email you once it’s available.

Dropbox said this issue was fixed for Puerto Rico but I am still unable to accept the gift.

Gifting not available
Sorry! Gifting isn’t available in your country yet. Sign up for notifications, and we’ll email you once it’s available.

Device: dropbox.com

Error String: Gifting not available Sorry! Gifting isn’t available in your country yet. Sign up for notifications, and we’ll email you once it’s available.

Submitted 9 days ago

Athena R.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Calvin is super helpful and created a work around while I wait for the real fix. So appreciated.

Need more support?