cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Why is my personal account full if I've only stored shared files?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

My Personal Dropbox is noting that it is full, without any regular files stored. There are only files shared with me. Why would DB be full? Regular files (0 bytes) Shared files (2GB).

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Why is my personal account full if I've only stored shared files?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @Petku1Jm, your Dropbox storage quota is calculated by adding up the total amount of data in your Dropbox account. This includes all shared folders you are a member of and all files collected from file requests. That said, if you’ve created a brand-new Dropbox account with a 2 GB allowance & you’d like to store a 3 GB shared folder, you’ll still need some additional space to add it. 

If that’s happening, you may ask the folder Owner to share a link to the folder 🔗 instead, that will not impact your account allowance & will allow you to view or download a one-way, read-only copy. In case you’d like to contribute in a project or in any way send them files in return, you could ask them to send you a File Request 🙏. (Note: I’ve created a walkthrough on how you could go about with that here). 

If adding this shared folder to your account is important to you, I'd recommend following these simple steps to slightly bump up your allowance. 

Hopefully this sheds a bit of light on your question, though I'm always here if you have more questions, just let me know on this discussion. Wishing you a wonderful rest of your day ahead! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Re: Why is my personal account full if I've only stored shared files?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @Petku1Jm, your Dropbox storage quota is calculated by adding up the total amount of data in your Dropbox account. This includes all shared folders you are a member of and all files collected from file requests. That said, if you’ve created a brand-new Dropbox account with a 2 GB allowance & you’d like to store a 3 GB shared folder, you’ll still need some additional space to add it. 

If that’s happening, you may ask the folder Owner to share a link to the folder 🔗 instead, that will not impact your account allowance & will allow you to view or download a one-way, read-only copy. In case you’d like to contribute in a project or in any way send them files in return, you could ask them to send you a File Request 🙏. (Note: I’ve created a walkthrough on how you could go about with that here). 

If adding this shared folder to your account is important to you, I'd recommend following these simple steps to slightly bump up your allowance. 

Hopefully this sheds a bit of light on your question, though I'm always here if you have more questions, just let me know on this discussion. Wishing you a wonderful rest of your day ahead! 

Jane

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Syncing and storage space issue

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Dropbox keeps saying that I am out of storage space while there is only one folder shared and it's 2 MB. (I was shared a large folder, but I un-synced it and it didn't free up space). I tried to wait, to re-login, to restart a computer, to pray and to cry. Please, tell me what is the issue and how to solve it?

Highlighted

Re: Syncing and storage space issue

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @Ananastia

I understand how you’re feeling & I’m here to get you back to Dropboxing without tears! 

Now, I’ve quickly moved your post here, as it should help you gain some insight on why you’re getting the Notification that your account is above your storage allowance. 

Moving forward, can you quickly have a quick look at your Plan tab for me? What do you see there? Is it personal or shared content that’s triggering this message? 

If it’s shared content that’s still using up your space, you may need to remove your access from more shared folders, in order to get back underquota.  However, you can also check out this resource to get more space. 

Please let me know how you get on with my advice & I'll do my best to get back in touch soon; I’m positive we can get this sorted together! 

Jane

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?