cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my plan being automatically upgraded?

Highlighted

Why is my plan being automatically upgraded?

New member | Level 2

Hi

Why am I getting an email saying that my plan is being upgraded/changed?  I didn't ask for it to be. How do I stop this from happening.

Email Reads...

"Just a quick reminder: on April 6, 2020, your plan is changing to $167.88 a year (plus any applicable taxes).

Dropbox Plus now has more space, and many top-requested features. Here’s what is new:
- Double your storage —save everything with 2 TB (2,000 GB).
- World-class sync technology —move out-of-date files off your computer's hard drive and to the cloud. Enable Dropbox Smart Sync[1] .
- Dropbox Rewind —roll back accidental changes to any folder, or your entire account, up to 30 days.

See what's new in Plus[2]

This is all for just $28.88 more a year. Or you can visit your account anytime to see more options. View account details[3] .

Thanks for choosing Dropbox!
— The Dropbox team"

6 Replies 6
Highlighted

Re: Why is my plan being automatically upgraded?

Super User II

@GreenDesign wrote:

Why am I getting an email saying that my plan is being upgraded/changed?  I didn't ask for it to be. How do I stop this from happening.

Dropbox announced back in May 2019 that their plans would be increasing in price but also getting more storage and improved capabilities. Existing subscribers received the upgrades immediately, with the new pricing not going into effect until their next billing cycle. You seem to have now reached that point.

This isn't a change that can be prevented. The previous storage levels and pricing are no longer available.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

SO dropbox isn't free anymore?  Or what is the free plan?

Highlighted

Super User II

Dropbox still has a free plan. It's the Dropbox Basic plan and includes 2 GB of storage.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

So how do I stay on the basic plan?

Highlighted

Super User II

If you're already on it, there's nothing you need to do. The changes mentioned above only apply to the paid Plus and Professional accounts.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

On April 6, I talked to a customer service rep and asked that one of my accounts be cancelled. I was just billed for it. Who do I need to talk to to get this straightened out?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?