cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Why is storage space full?

Why is storage space full?

7KW
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

It is very frustrating to not find a contact email anywhere for free Dropbox users to get a definite answer to resolve an issue. I read similar postings on the forum similar to my question, but none were helpful on what to do.

Seven months ago I downgraded my account instead of deleting it, because I have not used Dropbox for a little over a year. And I am not using it now-I don't need to. The five folders I have in the account are empty except for one shared folder that has a file of 24.2 MB. The email I received from Dropbox said if I use more than 5.75 GB, I would not be able to add new files to Dropbox after the downgrade. Ok, fine.

Now I'm being told that I need to upgrade because my account is full–6.06 GB of overage. How can that be? I don't use Dropbox. I only have one shared folder that gets used only once a year–currently using only 24.2 MB, not gigabytes. Where are the 6.06 GB coming from? I have followed all the different instructions I have found to check for the overage, but have found nothing.

In regard to support, I think Dropbox should have an email available for everyone whether free or paid. Free support just waits longer.  Paid support gets to wait for a shorter time – something like 1-2 days or whatever the business decides. Other businesses do it! They take care of their customers. It's part of good business practice.  --  Thank you to anyone who can help. Take care!

15 Replies 15

7KW
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

If your Plan page is showing that you're using 6GB, then there's 6GB of data in your account. Have you browsed the folders on the Dropbox website? There has to be something there.

Rich or anyone else, the answer is in the previous replies. I have explained it all. Please read them if you want to help me. If it is not possible to fix the "out of space" prompt, then, the best next thing will be to close the Dropbox account.

Someone, let me know what else I can do to fix this annoying problem. I repeat, everything is empty in the 3 folders that exist in the account. 

SenaT
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I have a similar issue. I have only used 363 MB of a basic account (2GB) and I received an email from Dropbox that I have exceeded my quota and have to upgrade. WTH? Is Dropbox confused between MB and GB?!?!

DB1.JPGDB2.JPG

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @7KW, it sounds like you have more data on your account than you're aware of. Have you tried calculating the size of folders on your account to ensure that there isn't a single folder or file which is taking up a lot of data?

@SenaT, were you added to a shared folder which contained a lot of data back then? Are you still experiencing this issue on your account regarding the quota, and have you received any emails since then?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

7KW
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hello Jay and @SenaT

I went ahead and calculated the size of the folders. I learned something new–thanks. I did find other folders that were not visible to me. I deleted all except for a total of four folders. One shared folder shows 24.MB and the others are 0 empty, as the calculated numbers showed.

I feel good about this cleanup. Maybe this is it. If I receive more emails regarding the quota saying is full, I will be back for more help. Thank you both for your replies. I appreciate it. Let's hope this is the end of this problem. 

SenaT
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Jay: The warning e-mail was sent to the same e-mail whose Dropbox usage is 363MB out of 2 TB.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @SenaT, thanks for checking that for us. 

Did you receive any notification about being added to a shared folder by any chance? 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Need more support?