cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is storage space full?

Why is storage space full?

7KW
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

It is very frustrating to not find a contact email anywhere for free Dropbox users to get a definite answer to resolve an issue. I read similar postings on the forum similar to my question, but none were helpful on what to do.

Seven months ago I downgraded my account instead of deleting it, because I have not used Dropbox for a little over a year. And I am not using it now-I don't need to. The five folders I have in the account are empty except for one shared folder that has a file of 24.2 MB. The email I received from Dropbox said if I use more than 5.75 GB, I would not be able to add new files to Dropbox after the downgrade. Ok, fine.

Now I'm being told that I need to upgrade because my account is full–6.06 GB of overage. How can that be? I don't use Dropbox. I only have one shared folder that gets used only once a year–currently using only 24.2 MB, not gigabytes. Where are the 6.06 GB coming from? I have followed all the different instructions I have found to check for the overage, but have found nothing.

In regard to support, I think Dropbox should have an email available for everyone whether free or paid. Free support just waits longer.  Paid support gets to wait for a shorter time – something like 1-2 days or whatever the business decides. Other businesses do it! They take care of their customers. It's part of good business practice.  --  Thank you to anyone who can help. Take care!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

7KW
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hello Jay and @SenaT

I went ahead and calculated the size of the folders. I learned something new–thanks. I did find other folders that were not visible to me. I deleted all except for a total of four folders. One shared folder shows 24.MB and the others are 0 empty, as the calculated numbers showed.

I feel good about this cleanup. Maybe this is it. If I receive more emails regarding the quota saying is full, I will be back for more help. Thank you both for your replies. I appreciate it. Let's hope this is the end of this problem. 

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there @7KW; thanks for using Dropbox and welcome to our Community!

Could you please let me know what is your account's plan tab reporting regarding your quota?

Thanks! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

7KW
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi - The plan tab says I have regular files of 6.06 GB. How can that be when I have empty folders. Where are those files?

Thanks for your help.

p.s. I hope someone sends an email when there is a reply to my post. I did not receive an email to the first reply.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @7KW, you can set to receive notifications from threads you're mentioned in and boards you're subscribed to from your Dropbox Community settings. 

You can change them from your Dropbox Community settings, under Notification Settings in Subscriptions & Notifications. 

As for your account's storage, could you let us what sort of content occupies majority of your space according to the Plan tab? Is it personal or shared content? 

If you're not too sure, you can always just send us a screenshot of it, so that we have a better visual of it as well. 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

7KW
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hello - The Plan tab says my personal account is full. (6.06 GB) Shared files (24.28 MB) This is the only account I have.

As I mentioned before. I am not using Dropbox at all. Before downgrading, I downloaded my files then deleted all files from Dropbox except for the shared folder which I use once a year. I did all that via the Website with help from support. On my Dropbox desktop, all remaining folders (three) are empty except for the shared one. So why is my account full?

By the way, you said "you can always just send us a screenshot of it", how can I send anything to support if there is no email access for free accounts? And I don't see a "files upload link" anywhere. The only help I can get is through here (the community). And as I said before in a previous message, we should all have direct support access for free accounts as well. A business as big as Dropbox should not put it just on to the community to reply. If other large businesses can take care of their customers directly, so can Dropbox.

Thanks for your assistance. It is appreciated.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

So if you take a look at your account on the website, you can only see this shared folder @7KW?

Could it be that there's a 3rd party app connected and backing up to your account somehow? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

7KW
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I disconnected all 3rd party apps as Walter made me aware of them. The account still shows full. What else is there to do?

Thanks.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@7KW wrote:

I disconnected all 3rd party apps as Walter made me aware of them. The account still shows full. What else is there to do?

If your Plan page is showing that you're using 6GB, then there's 6GB of data in your account. Have you browsed the folders on the Dropbox website? There has to be something there.

SenaT
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I received an email that I had exceeded my quota for my free account but I have only used 363MB out of the 2 GB allowance.

"You continue to be over your Dropbox storage quota. To add new files or continue auto-syncing, you must upgrade to Plus."

What is going on?

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @SenaT, could it be that the email address you received the notification in, is not the same as the Dropbox account you're looking at?

You can check which email your Dropbox account is connected to by going to the General tab

Have a look and let me know what you find. Cheers!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropbox Staff
    SenaT Explorer | Level 3
    7KW Helpful | Level 6
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?