cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Will I lose space left on my plan if I cancel auto-renewal?

Explorer | Level 4

So I subscribed to the 3TB business plan. It is an annual subscription. However, at this rate, it might take me 4-5 years before using the 3TB storage. 

Let's say I decide to cancel my business plan subscription before it auto-renews, and that I have more space left out of the 3TB. What will happen? will I be able to still upload files and have them synching? 

Answer, please.  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Will I lose space left on my plan if I cancel auto-renewal?

Super User II
Super User II

No. Once you're account is downgraded you won't be able to sync or add new files (or change existing ones) as long as your account is over its quota. You would need to remove enough files from your account so that you're back below your quota, then you'd be able to sync again.

SImply put, if you stop paying, you don't get to keep what you previously had to pay for.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there @Akualicious  - how are you today?

Please be aware that if your account is ever downgraded, Dropbox will not delete any of your files.

If your Dropbox folder becomes over quota all that should happen is that syncing stops. Dropbox will only sync until you hit your quota, so if you are over quota all that should happen is that Dropbox will not sync any new files.

I hope this clarifies matters and please let me know if you have any more questions.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Oh, that was fast! thanks! 

Yes, one more thing to clarify, please.

Let's say, at the end of the 12-month plan, 1.7 TB remains out of the 3TB. And I decide not to renew. Can I still upload files and fill up that 1.7TB of space remaining?

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

No. Once you're account is downgraded you won't be able to sync or add new files (or change existing ones) as long as your account is over its quota. You would need to remove enough files from your account so that you're back below your quota, then you'd be able to sync again.

SImply put, if you stop paying, you don't get to keep what you previously had to pay for.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Oh my... this is sad! so it's basically forcing me to use all my 3TB in 12 months! :O 

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

Are you really expecting to load up your account, stop paying, and then continue to store that data in your account without paying for what you're using? I would say that's the sad part.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Of course, I expect to be able to store data in my account until it reaches the 3TB limit -- and not until the 12 months expire. Data space quota instead of timeframe quota. Nothing sad in expecting that. 

It's basically like paying for food at a restaurant, not being able to finish your plate in the dining hall, and asking for a take-out option to finish the food at home, instead of being obliged to either 1) finish your food at the restaurant, or 2) have the waiter throw all the rest of your food in the bin by force because you weren't able to finish it in the dining hall. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks it would be fair to go by storage data limit and not timeframe limit -- upload till you exhaust the space you purchased! 

Then again, this is just my opinion as a customer. Customer feedback is fine. It helps developers unveil new options. 

Either way, thanks all for the prompt explanations. Well noted.

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?