cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Work account & personal account switched

Work account & personal account switched

Carerun
New member | Level 2

I control my employer's (company A) dropbox account that is shared by multiple users using my sign in.  Recently I started an afterhours gig (company B) who shared dropbox files to my Company A email address which is already tied to Company A's account.  When I opened the invite from Co B, Dropbox asked me if I wanted to create a personal account to keep the work and personal separate.  I said yes and put in the email address that I normally use for Co B correspondence thinking that the files that I'm receiving will be put into this newly created "personal" account.  Instead, dropbox changed the user of my existing account to the newly entered email address.  The end result is dropbox made my Co A's email address my work account account but put my personal stuff (Co B shared files) in this folder.  Co B's email is now listed as my work account and contains all of Co A's info (that is shared by multiple users).

This is going to cause a bunch of confusion.

Help!  How do I flip flop these?  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II

You will need a third email address to use as a temp account to flip them all around (so change the account on one email to a temporary one, then use the email you released to swap on to the other account, this is will release the second email which you can then use back on the account with the temp email).

However, what I would say is for safety you really MUST perform a data security / cyber / data protection risk assessment for the company sharing log ins. This is a HUGE security risk - especially if they have the password. Technically any of them can log in and permanently delete files or even the whole account without any possible audit trail as it will all show as that one person (i.e. the company). If they did delete the account you have no comeback at all because that are authorised to do so by having the password. The other issue would be if you needed to investigate who was accessing/editing or deleting files..... you cannot see who it is at present.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Mark
Super User II

You will need a third email address to use as a temp account to flip them all around (so change the account on one email to a temporary one, then use the email you released to swap on to the other account, this is will release the second email which you can then use back on the account with the temp email).

However, what I would say is for safety you really MUST perform a data security / cyber / data protection risk assessment for the company sharing log ins. This is a HUGE security risk - especially if they have the password. Technically any of them can log in and permanently delete files or even the whole account without any possible audit trail as it will all show as that one person (i.e. the company). If they did delete the account you have no comeback at all because that are authorised to do so by having the password. The other issue would be if you needed to investigate who was accessing/editing or deleting files..... you cannot see who it is at present.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

Carerun
New member | Level 2

Thank you Mark for your response.  That should work and I will get started on this today.

Thanks also for the advise of the user info.  We seldom use dropbox now that we have a management system that offers a mobile app, we can upload pics directly into the customer file vs using dropbox to share from the field to office.  We still have a few die hard old school who use dropbox to get their photos off their phone.  This limited use reduces the risk and if they accidently delete a file, well, maybe they will reconsider conforming to the new system.  LOL

Thanks again and have a great day!

Kay

Carerun
New member | Level 2

Quick update.... I was actually able use a 3rd email address and changed the email address associated with the accounts until I had them switched around correctly.  I was able to then unlink the 2 accounts.

Boom!  I'm back to normal.

Poll
Are you starting new work habits this year?
Need more support?