cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can't share Professional account folder to basic accounts?

Highlighted

can't share Professional account folder to basic accounts?

Explorer | Level 3

Hi

I have shared a folder to some friends who have basic accounts. This is to share some holiday pics. I have a Professional account and was expecting this sheared folder to use my space quota rather than my friewnds. They are getting dont have enough space messages.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: can't share Professional account folder to basic accounts?

Dropboxer
Hi there @TerryRobin

Due to every member of a shared folder having the ability to add and modify the files in it, the shared folder takes up space in each member's account. This policy exists to prevent people from giving themselves unlimited space by stacking Basic accounts and shared folders.

In general, your Dropbox storage is calculated based on the total contents in your account. Since a Dropbox account can't sync more than its quota, a 2 GB account can't sync more than 2 GB, including the space taken up by shared folders. 

However, if you'd like to share a folder without affecting the other users’ quota, you can share a link to the folder, which allows them to view or download a one-way, read-only copy of the folder.

Finally, if they want to make space in their accounts, they can do so by removing unwanted content, leave any shared folders that put them over quota, or they can also increase their storage by earning it

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1
Highlighted

Re: can't share Professional account folder to basic accounts?

Dropboxer
Hi there @TerryRobin

Due to every member of a shared folder having the ability to add and modify the files in it, the shared folder takes up space in each member's account. This policy exists to prevent people from giving themselves unlimited space by stacking Basic accounts and shared folders.

In general, your Dropbox storage is calculated based on the total contents in your account. Since a Dropbox account can't sync more than its quota, a 2 GB account can't sync more than 2 GB, including the space taken up by shared folders. 

However, if you'd like to share a folder without affecting the other users’ quota, you can share a link to the folder, which allows them to view or download a one-way, read-only copy of the folder.

Finally, if they want to make space in their accounts, they can do so by removing unwanted content, leave any shared folders that put them over quota, or they can also increase their storage by earning it

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?