cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you an educator? Well we want to hear from you, so check out some tools we think might help you out here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cancellation and refund of a basic account

cancellation and refund of a basic account

debadams805
New member | Level 2

I have a basic dropbox account which I thought was free but I have been automatically charged $119.88 per year. I would like a refund and to cancel my account but can't find how to do this. Please help!

5 Replies 5

Re: cancellation and refund of a basic account

rightmatt
New member | Level 2

I'm the same. Can't cancel on my iPhone, they make sure you can't do it on your laptop and make it impossible to contact customer service. They won't give you the service but continue taking your money... is that not theft?! I'm raging!

Rich
Super User II

@debadams805 wrote:

I have a basic dropbox account which I thought was free but I have been automatically charged $119.88 per year. I would like a refund and to cancel my account but can't find how to do this. Please help!

Basic accounts are free. If you're being charged and your account shows as Basic, then you're being charged for a different account. Use the credit card charge lookup tool to determine what account you're being charged for. You can then sign in to that account and cancel it.

Rich
Super User II

@rightmatt wrote:

I'm the same. Can't cancel on my iPhone

Did you subscribe on your iPhone? If so, then you need to cancel the subscription through the Subscriptions section of the Settings app on the phone. If you're having trouble doing that, you'll need to contact Apple as they're in control of your subscription; not Dropbox.

... they make sure you can't do it on your laptop

If you subscribed on the Dropbox website then you can cancel your subscription by clicking the Cancel Plan link at the bottom of your Plan page.

... and make it impossible to contact customer service.

You can find the support options available to you on the Support page. If you're having difficulty cancelling and you subscribed on the Dropbox website, then you can open a billing issues ticket.

PamelaChavezQuintana
New member | Level 2

Me pasó lo mismo estoy hace 3 horas tratando de hacer lo mismo y nada. necesito ayuda!!!

debadams805
New member | Level 2

Thanks for these solutions and options Rich. It was so long ago that I subscribed and at some point my account was tied up with my corp account that I don't even know. I just saw the automatic renewal on my charge card this week and decided I'd better do something about it. I fished around on the dropbox site looking for help and appreciate the community responding here. I also received a response from Ryan in customer support who told me he had refunded the charge and downgraded my account. What a relief!

Thanks for your response!!

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

debadams805 New member | Level 2
    PamelaChavezQuintana New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
    rightmatt New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?