cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

change googlemail.com to gmail.com -> lost my account

change googlemail.com to gmail.com -> lost my account

Christina07Frankfurt
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello, everyone,

Google has recommended that I shorten my email address from googlemail.com to gmail.com without any changes.
For all other sites where I have logged in with my gmail it works fine.

But dropbox has created a new account for me and I don't have access to my client's data anymore.

When I try to login with googlemail.com, I am redirected to the new account with gmail.com. I'm just confused why a new account is created for me.

Is there a way I can get access to the old account again?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Christina07Frankfurt wrote:

I'm just confused why a new account is created for me.

Because despite Google treating gmail.com and goolemail.com as the same account, they are, in fact, two different email addresses, and since Dropbox requires a unique email address for each account, they rightfully treat each email address separately. It's no different when using periods in a Gmail address. With Gmail, myemail@gmail.com, my.email@gmail.com and m.y.e.m.a.i.l@gmail.com all receive email into the same account, but they're separate email addresses as far as any other service is concerned.

When I try to login with googlemail.com, I am redirected to the new account with gmail.com. ... Is there a way I can get access to the old account again?

Are you using the Sign in with Goolge option, or are you signing in normally, by entering your email address and Dropbox password? Don't use the Sign in with Google option. Try signing in regularlly by typing your old email address.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Christina07Frankfurt wrote:

I'm just confused why a new account is created for me.

Because despite Google treating gmail.com and goolemail.com as the same account, they are, in fact, two different email addresses, and since Dropbox requires a unique email address for each account, they rightfully treat each email address separately. It's no different when using periods in a Gmail address. With Gmail, myemail@gmail.com, my.email@gmail.com and m.y.e.m.a.i.l@gmail.com all receive email into the same account, but they're separate email addresses as far as any other service is concerned.

When I try to login with googlemail.com, I am redirected to the new account with gmail.com. ... Is there a way I can get access to the old account again?

Are you using the Sign in with Goolge option, or are you signing in normally, by entering your email address and Dropbox password? Don't use the Sign in with Google option. Try signing in regularlly by typing your old email address.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Christina07FrankfurtSolved
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you. That really helped me 🙂

I signed up with original xxx@googlemail.com, first it didn't work because the account or the password was wrong.

But after resetting a new password I finally got into my acc!

Thanks alot from my restored Acc ahaha

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Christina07FrankfurtSolved New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?